Topics

Article

Someone more knowledgeable then me and has access needs to look into this

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0034528817304137

--
Jean and Amber (over the bridge)

South Carolina

August 2004

NRCPlus 0412; CIR 0813, 1211; NAT 0612

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gloria%20and%20Amber

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

 I ordered it, Jean - will give a rundown after I get it.  As a preview though, don't expect anything earth-shattering. Count the number of times the word "may" appears in the abstract.

As expected, it's purely theoretical.

I agree with Eleanor. All speculative and a good part of it is completely inaccurate or just flat wrong. I'm not sure how it got past peer review.

Examples:
Incorrectly defines NSC
"...elimination of grass hay from the diets seems to be the most important factor in the case of preventing risk of pasture-associated laminitis." (I'm sure they meant to say "grass" instead of "grass hay," but this is so fundamentally important, how could it have possibly been accepted?)
Sloppy writing, like "simply sugars" vs. "Simple sugars" should have been caught by the author, the reviewer and the journal editorial staff.

In general, the authors cite a number of published works (with limited understanding) to serve as a platform to propose Algae as a component of the equine diet and to inject mesenchymal because... who knows? Fraught with errors, poorly organized random thoughts with no supporting data - I can't come up with anything positive to say about it.
--

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)

Director and Research Advisor, ECIR Group Inc.

Missouri, USA, 2005

https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=3-I7UI0AAAAJ

Thank you Eleanor and Kathleen.  The article did look interesting but I didn't expect much.
--
Jean and Amber (over the bridge)

Nikki and Buster