Topics

Ashwangandha uses Dr K?

Tracy

Hoping Dr K sees this - on the post about Relevante's possible hay belly Ashwangandha came up and you mentioned it's unique - having an ability to calm.
I am getting Salsa back out on the trails and he sure is nervous (!!!).

How can we consider using Ashwangandha in our horses?  Especially IR/PPID horses.  Any contraindications?

**My doctor has me using Ashwangandha in the evenings for my slightly high night time cortisol - so I am fairly familiar with it for humans.  I respect some herbs have medicinal qualities.

Tracy
--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There are no contraindications with PPID/IR based on studies in other species and I have used it in selective circumstances for man years. It's not a cure all but can help in situations where the primary issue is anxiety.

Tracy

If we want to try it - is it best used over time?  Not “just” before a stressful event right?
How much is needed per 100 lbs of horse weight?

Thank you!
Tracy
--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019
Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tracy%20and%20Salsa
Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=95827

Lynn

Hi Tracy - Not Dr. K...but Relevante weighs approximately 890 lbs. I give him in 1 tsp in his a.m. supplement baggy and 1 tsp. in his p.m. supplement baggy. I have given it everyday since we started it.  Pertaining to my dosage..Dr. Kellon said...

"You're within the reported dosages for even concentrated Ashwangandha extracts so no concerns there! It is rather unique among the adaptogens in having a calming/anti-anxiety effect."

Hope this helps. I have found it works better than anything else that I've tried.  Because he has been in such a bubble ...he would experience some anxiety/nervousness - we've been experiencing wind with the fall weather, sounds you name it. The incident where I really noticed a change is the first time a month ago that he got a bath with his new Insta Hot Bath System.  the components are blindingly white - the barn owner asked me to assemble it near where she was bringing the horses into the barn from the fields. None of them would go near it and were freaking out. When I took Relevante out there - he was certainly interested and giving it a good stare but I "introduced" him to it....got him to touch it and he was fine. I was even able to bathe his face (of course keeping water out of his ears/eyes) and his unmentionables with very little fuss. He did really well.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Tracy

Thanks Lynn!  I see Bulk Supplements sells it.  Salsa is about 830 lbs - similar to Relevante.

Recently added extra Mg and 200mg B6 to Salsa's diet.  Will see if those seem to help on the next few rides.
Salsa was in a bubble too - I let life get in the way and didn't ride him for a year.  Shame on me - that time off wasn't good for Salsa or myself.

Going to tuck the ashwangandha away in my mind and might try it.