ATCH high? Insulin normal?

Lesley Bludworth

Hello,
Just had insulin and ATCH retested tested.
Was sent to Cornell.
Insulin finally down to 26 yay!
but ATCH 66.1 and the reference range is 2 to 30.
So is 66.1 normal for this time of year?
If not what dose to start pergolide at?
Thank you
--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ

Hi Leslie,

You can see the range for normal horses by week (or month) here: Microsoft Word - Seasonal Changes in ACTH Secretion.docx (groups.io).  66 would be above where a normal horse would be and indicative that during the seasonal rise you'd want to have her on Prascend.

At this point you're chasing the rise but you could start her on APF and then add in .5mg of Prascend for 3 - 4 days and then titrate up to a full mg.

Lesley Bludworth

Sherry,
Great, thank you!
--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

Lesley Bludworth

Sherry,
She would stay on it until January and then come off and retest?  She would go back on again in mid July?
She has had crazy allergies in the past and this spring I thought she had a small spot of weird long hairs on her back legs that were late to shed.

Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

Hi Leslie,

If she were mine I'd stop after the rise (end of December) and then retest using the TRH Stim whenever you do spring shots (expectation being that's in the March/April time frame).  You would then need to evaluate what you're going to do based on those numbers.  If she's equivocal you could probably just medicate for the rise next year (I would start medication in early June, not July) but if she's positive on the post-stim results she would need medication year round.

Lesley Bludworth

Thank you Sherry.
I will have a conversation with my vet!