Topics

Audi’s Movement

lindsaykrauland@...

So, if I’m completely understanding, we have Audi’s failure to gain weight narrowed down to, in order of likelihood:

1. Pain, due to either his feet and/or uncontrolled arthritis pain
2.  Diet, possibly due to overly fibrous hay or his “hard keeper” status
3.  As-yet uncontrolled PPID (last ACTH was 31)

Regarding pain, here are two videos from today.  Please ignore my appearing in my pajamas; I wasn’t planning to be in the video!  My 8 year old was going to ride Audi while I filmed, but she woke up feeling yucky today and would only agree to act as videographer.

Audi typically starts out slowly and warms up into looking more fluid.  These videos were shot right after he came out of the corral following a meal.  But this is pretty typical of how he normally looks, unless he’s warmed up.  Would appreciate your thoughts.

Walk & Turning- https://youtu.be/xN_4oKtMgzQ

Failed Attempt at a Trot (He is typically hesitant to trot, though he *occasionally* comes out with a beautiful trot when I least expect it.  Very occasionally.)- https://youtu.be/aTvYgRO29Iw

I have Phyto-Quench on order, and he is currently on MoveEase.  When I receive the PQ, should I immediately discontinue the other product?  Also, is the PQ intended to be used indefinitely?

--
Lindsay in TX 2020

Audi Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lindsay%20and%20Audi

Audi Photo Album:

Hi Lindsay,

Neither video is very long but for an 8 year old I think your daughter did a good job.  Audi to me looks like he's very stiff and possibly in pain as he doesn't want to move out at all.  It may be helpful to do a comparison video of what he looks like once he has warmed up if you think he looks better then.

lindsaykrauland@...

Hi Sherry,

Yes, he’s very stiff lately.  He’s been on and off lame all during the time that I’ve had him, and he’s once again gone downhill in the past couple weeks.  My daughter had been lightly riding him, following a period of in-hand rehab, and he was looking decent.  He likes to stick close to my horse, Mo, so the rides were mostly Audi and Emmi following along after Mo and me.  A few times, Audi chose to trot (and once canter) after Mo, taking his small rider by quite a bit of surprise!  However, he started looking poorly again very early in Nov, and we’ve been letting him rest.  Today’s planned ride was going to be strictly for the video.   He hasn’t had a rider since around Halloween.  Because he has been looking so painful, I haven’t even been hand walking him, so I can’t say whether he would warm up well at the present time, although he has previously.

--

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 03:31 PM, <lindsaykrauland@...> wrote:
So, if I’m completely understanding, we have Audi’s failure to gain weight narrowed down to, in order of likelihood:  1. Pain, due to either his feet and/or uncontrolled arthritis pain. 2.  Diet, possibly due to overly fibrous hay or his “hard keeper” status.  3.  As-yet uncontrolled PPID (last ACTH was 31)

Lindsay, I think it’s important to keep in mind that it might well be all of the above. And it may take an attack on all fronts to make a difference.  I was most impressed by his attitude (or lack of it) in the videos and couldn’t honestly dismiss any of the three possibilities you list.  Jeannie’s observations about the hay in your thread about Audi’s diet hit home to me.  What used to be great hay for my easy keepers has become a bit problematic as they age.

--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

lindsaykrauland@...

Hi Martha,

I am attacking all 3 fronts!  And I have been.  I’ve changed up his diet more times than I can count, always based on recommendations here.  I have to be honest; I’ve heard, “If you do XYZ, then that should cover [lack or protein, fibrous hay, etc],” a few different times.  Each time, I’ve implemented those changes, and they didn’t result in any changes in Audi.  I posted my most recent idea for revisions to his diet over on the diet thread just a few minutes ago.  Financially and logistically, I don’t think I can do much more on the diet front.  He’s a big horse who needs a lot of food, and he’s not my only responsibility. I say that without the slightest hint of resentment or anger, and I absolutely appreciate all the advice that has been freely shared. At the moment, I’m just stuck in the mud spinning my wheels with him, and I can’t help but be discouraged.  (And my husband is not happy with what he’s been costing us.)

Lately, I’ve been wishing I had kept him on the NSAID and left his shoes on!  He had his issues then, but he totally crapped out almost as soon as he moved in with me.

ACTH- Who knows?!  He fits the PPID mold in a number of ways, but his ACTH doesn’t reflect how he looks.  Maybe he’s just one of the weird ones.  Or maybe he’s totally out of whack but we really need to be looking at a better marker to see it.  But it’s similar to the diet stuff.  I monitor his baseline ACTH closely— It’s the best marker available for the price— And I can’t go chasing down ALL the bloodwork.  I’ve started scoring his (possible) PPID signs, and that’s going to need to do.

He’s definitely lethargic, as you’ve noted, Martha.  A common theme in my CH & posts these past few months has been that he’s on a real roller coaster of good days and bad days.  So far, pretty much the entire month of November has been bad for him.  If his issue is uncontrolled Cushings, I can’t figure out why he looking worse coming out of the rise, unless his rhythms are off?

Aside from general stiffness, can anyone see signs of pain in any particular part of his body?  I’ve been told he has hock arthritis, and I know he has some ringbone.  Anything jumping out at you all as being a particularly troublesome spot for him?

--
Lindsay in TX 2020

Audi Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lindsay%20and%20Audi

Audi Photo Album:

Lindsay,

Can't really say anything specific from this. He's "reluctant" but fairly even.  FWIT, I think he's definitely gaining some weight. You can use up the Move Ease. PQ ingredients have no long term toxicity as far as I know. Try 1 scoop twice daily to start.

lindsaykrauland@...

Thanks, Dr. Kellon. Just to confirm, it's ok to use the Move Ease and Phyto Quench concurrently until I finish up my supply of Mov-Ease?
--
Lindsay in TX 2020

Audi Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lindsay%20and%20Audi

Audi Photo Album:

Yes, it's OK.

lindsaykrauland@...

Thanks! And I'm really glad you think he's gaining weight! Sometimes I think I see it and other times I think he's as skinny as ever. I taped him yesterday. The first try, I ended up with 1065#, but when I shifted the tape a bit, it read 1098#. Since there's only 1" on the tape between those two numbers, I find it really fiddly to use. I'll certainly feel better once he gains sufficient weight that's it's really OBVIOUS.