Baffled and Concerned

Nancy K.

I spent considerable time updating Jalila’s case history to reflect changes to feeding for cold weather. It is hard for me to keep a horse at such a low body score in winter but with blankets and feeding five times/day, I’ve managed to not break down and overfeed.

She has been doing well. The improvement to her feet is remarkable and even on the ice (so far) she is not foot sore or hesitant to move. Her movement is confined to the paths she has packed down to and from her feeding area, shed, and water trough. Those paths are hard and get icy.

Her neck has stayed soft for months, and her crest is barely noticeable. That’s why I’m so baffled today. The early morning feeding is in the dark so I don’t know exactly when her hind legs stocked up but they were swollen when I fed at 9:00 am. I walked her for 40 minutes in the hard packed driveway and they went down a little bit but not completely. Then I went out at noon (3rd feeding) to stuff hay nets and clean up some areas in the pens. It was sunny and about 29 F/-1.667 C, so I pulled the blankets and groomed. Her neck was still soft but when I combed her mane the crest was a little bit floppy. Hind legs are still stocked up.

The weather now is “normal,” much less severe than we’ve had the past month. I’m puzzled because she made it through considerable snow, radical weather changes, wind, and a severe deep freeze without issue.

What should I do about the stocking up in the hind legs and possible encroachment of a cresty neck?

--

-Nancy K. with Jalila & Shiraz

March 2021, Blaine county Idaho

Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Jalila

Jalila’s Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=262313
Shiraz's Photos:

Hi Nancy,

If nothing else has changed I wouldn't be overly concerned about the stocking up as it sounds like there's been limited mobility options for your girl.  If she's eating/drinking/pooping/peeing as normal and not lame or running a fever I'd keep an eye on her legs and possibly wrap them to see if that makes any difference for her.

Nancy K.

Thank you. My competition horses used to stock up when we went to shows due to standing in stalls or small pens, but the swelling always went down with a little bit of exercise. Jalila's swelling is stubborn and right after I posted, she had a mild colic. I have added 20-30 minutes of hand walking daily and hope this helps her. She's not herself in this cold weather, but then, neither am I. The one tear anniversary of her winter laminitis is coming up and I'm edgy.
--

-Nancy K. with Jalila & Shiraz

March 2021, Blaine county Idaho

Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Jalila

Jalila’s Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=262313
Shiraz's Photos:

The appearance of stocking up behind can mean she is not comfortable on her front feet and is shifting weight behind plus moving around less. If you haven't already, get her in socks, boots and leg wraps. She should be on Jiaogulan.

Nancy K.

Ugh. That's more what I was worried about but hadn't quite put it together. I ordered Jiaogulan last week and it should be here (hopefully) tomorrow. I hesitate to do boots on the ice. Now that the snow has softened, I have seen her standing off the paths. I'll try the boots while it's light out and call my farrier.
She walks confidently and is sound on the pavement when I hand walk. Is walking on pavement better than not walking at all?
Can someone direct me to info re "socks"?
--

-Nancy K. with Jalila & Shiraz

March 2021, Blaine county Idaho

Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Jalila

Jalila’s Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=262313
Shiraz's Photos:

Deb Walker

Nancy - We just had a major discussion on this when it was determined Scotty had a case of winter laminitis. I think the title was How to put the socks on after determining that I needed them :)

What I have purchased so far are wool blend tube socks at a local farm/home store. It takes some patience getting them on but it gets easier. I bought the extra large size.

--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History: