Topics

balancing hay and water

Tucker

My message chain seems to have come to an end without my question being answered...
I am at the point where I need to reorder the Glycemic EQ or order the Equi VM, (supplement change suggested but that was before we found out our water is high in calcium - 13 grains in a gallon of water and the hay analysis showed a calcium deficit of 15) Just wondering if this switch still holds? Does the high calcium in the water balance the low calcium in the hay or not enough to make a difference? I would say Indigo drinks a normal amount of water, not excessive and not minimal.  Thank you so much for your help in balancing Indigos diet.
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018

Nancy C

Hi Tucker

FWIW, I could not answer your questions without reviewing all the info which would basically be a consult.  I note Dr Kellon asked for how much your herd is drinking and it's not clear to me she got that answer, which may be slowing you down.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/252934

I do know that minerals are ten times more available in water.

Sorry, more questions than answers, at least from here.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Tucker

Thank you Nancy,
It is rather impossible to judge how much water because she is with another pony and a donkey and they all share the same water source. They are drinking more on these hot summer days but does not seem excessive to me and I would hope that they would drink more in the heat. Would I have to change supplements in summer and winter?  I really need to get my order in for either more Glycemic EG or for Equi VM as It is getting low. What would be my best option? If I need a consult please inform as to how I go about that? We recently moved to a new property and they are in a temporary large paddock with a run-in and shade trees until a barn is remodeled and made suitable for them where I could separate them. It seems the calcium in the water really makes a difference but I really need someone with the knowledge of correctly balancing a diet to give me some guidance. I don't know if the calcium in the water is enough to balance the lack of it in the hay. Thank you for any advice and help on this!
 --
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

Nancy C

I don't want to get in the way of Dr Kellon, whom, I think, was directing you.  If you can't sort out what she is drinking individually, my next suggestion would be to determine how much they all drink together over a 24 hour period.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Tucker

Tucker

Hi Dr. Kellon and Nancy,
Thanks so much for your help! I kept track of the total amount of water Indigo and her two companions drink in a 24 hour period which was 19 gallons. Indigo weighs about 750, Mair weighs 650 and Daisy the donkey weights 250 in case that matters. Besides the calcium in the water (13 grains per gallon)and the deficit (15) of calcium in the hay - my question is if the difference is enough to balance it?  My other question is how much beet pulp should Indigo get as Dr. Kellon suggested that? Her companions are on the same diet as Indigo is.
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

One grain = 64.8 mg of calcium carbonate per gallon = 6.3 mg of actual calcium. This is very low so won't make a difference. The deficit in the hay is actually 38.4 grams per 10 kg   (22 lbs) in the fescue analysis in your file. That is to get to a 1.2:1 Ca:P ratio.

Tucker

Thanks Dr. Kellon, but what does that mean? I should still switch to the Equi VM and how much beet pulp should I feed to make a difference?
Thanks for your advice...
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

You can't make up the difference with beet pulp alone. For each 22 lbs of hay, feed:

- 2 lbs of beet pulp dry weight
- 2 scoops Uckele Equi VM
- 3 and 3/4 scoops Uckele Equi-Cal

E, salt, flax as usual.

Tucker

Dr. Kellon, thank you so much! Feeling good that I can get Indigo on the right balanced diet with adding Uckele Equi-Cal, Equi VM and beet pulp.  I will discontinue the Glycemic EQ and also the Amino Trace. Thanks so much!
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

Tucker

Hi Dr. Kellon,
Does this mean I can discontinue the Stabul 1 too, along with discontinuing the Glycemic EQ and Amino Trace. Thanks!
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

Stabul 1 doesn't do any balancing. It's a carrier for your supplements and a calorie source.