Balancing my pony's diet

Laura

I have finally (after some month's) found that my case history (Laura and Nova) was indeed uploaded, including a hay analysis. Would someone be able to look at it and tell me what to change to help her lose weight. I am thinking I should keep her entirely on a dry lot. I am getting a blood test for EMS/IR drawn tomorrow.
She has no signs of laminitis and has lost some weight but she still has fat pillows over her ribs, a fat udder and a hard blob on her neck. We are re-starting her exercise program also, she is a driving pony.
Also, should I upload pictures of her for body condition?

Thanks,
--
Laura W (Rhys, Nova & Taya)
Central Wisconsin

Hi Laura,
I started, accidentally sent prematurely and deleted a post to you just now.  Let me try again.
I tracked down the link to your case history folder and you need to add it to your signature so we can locate your folder.  Here is the link you want to copy

You need to paste this under your signature, which you can access in the subscription box for the main group.  I haven’t looked for your photos yet.  If you know how to find them, you could do the same with inserting a link to your album into your signature.  Be sure to press “Save” and Return.
Thank you!
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Hi, Laura.
Yes, photos can be very helpful to see photos. You need to start a Photo Album named Laura and Nova in the case history subgroup. Instructions are in the Wiki: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1474
Here is the link to the Photo area to get started with your new album:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/photos
The Wiki also has information about taking good body shots. https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki#Photos-and-Hoof-Evaluation-Help

Would you please add the link to your Case History folder below your automatic signature? It's easy. Three or three and a half steps.
2. Scroll down to the Signature block and below your signature, paste in :
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laura%20and%20Nova
Don't leave the page yet! Be sure to add a return or space after the link to your CH folder so the link is clickable/active/blue.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click SAVE.

After you create a photo album, you will repeat these steps, only with the link to your photo album. Let us know if you run into any problems. We're here to help.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Edited

Hi Laura, again.
Without looking at photos, but going over your case history, it’s apparent that’s she’s getting a significant portion of her calories during turnout.  On a safe, weight losing diet, she should be getting the larger amount of either 1.5% of her present weight or 2% of her ideal weight in feed and forage.  This would be 12 pounds.  You are feeding her 8# of hay plus a bit.  You could cut way back on her hay but I think it would be much better to do as you suggest and keep her off pasture and increase her hay.  Research has shown that horses eat a major portion of their forage shortly after going out to graze so limiting the grazing time isn’t super effective.  Poor pasture is often stressed plants which are higher in sugar so ideally you would feed her a tested low sugar/starch hay with balanced minerals. Your hay is high enough that I would soak and rinse it.
Good to know you are getting blood work done.  You really need that to make any decisions.