Barbara

LNGERZ@...

I can tell you a few summers ago, Pandora was in the woods, wouldn't even
come out, just lying there, with flies on her body, and her feet almost in
the air. I can only compare her position to that of a woodchuck on the road
for a few days, not very a nice analogy, but "roadkill." I called the vet
and we literally "hauled ass" to get Pandora Mule into the barn. The vet
came prepared, I had sounded so desperate. My husband came up to find my in
the barn on my knees, hovering over Pandora who was now lying on the bedding.
She was covered with hives, and we knew she had abscessed, but it wasn't
quite time to pare out that sore hoof. I was sure I was spending my last
moments with my stoic, accepting girl. The vet came, gave her an
antihistamine injection, plus a pain killer, and her usual anesthesia, pared
out her hoof (ahead of our usual schedule) and said for me to "check out her
attitude in the morning." The vet knows I am so in love with Pandora, that I
can not be objective about her prognosis. Well, I knew we were at the "end
of our rope." Next morning, I went to the barn. There she was, my black
mule, standing up, and when I looked in those eyes, I didn't see defeat. I
saw, "We can do this, Mom. Yep, we can!" She gave me her best mule smile, a
sure sign that she was feeling better and back to the house I ran. I called
the vet, told her about Pandora's "attitude" and that was about 4 years ago.
Yes, she has many bad days, but she also has many good ones. My vet managed
to break her leg this spring, so I needed another vet to come for Pandora's
March abscess. Here was a male vet, and one who could be much more objective
than my usual one, because she knows how I love Pandora. I said to him,
before he even started,
"Tell me, honestly, am I being unfair to her? Am I keeping her alive for me
or for her?" This vet, who has the reputation of being too blunt with many
clients, looked at Pandora, looked at her bedding, that I had just fluffed
up, then he went right over and looked into her eyes. He turned to me and
said, "This girl would like to stay around for a while, I am sure!" Boy, do
I like that man! He said he thinks many times owners who care, hurt more for
their animals, than the animals do themselves. Not sure, but it made my day
and many times when I am about to give up on Pandora, his words echo in my
ears. "When the time comes, you will know. You will know by 'Gestalt!'"
I think he is right! Kay, who just had to share that today.

Pennington-Boggio's <pennbo@...>

Big Hugs! It can be so frustrating dealing with Cushings. Sometimes I
stare at my old girl and think "maybe I should just end it for her.." I
know that sounds terrible but it is just overwhelming sometimes. Of
course then she nickers at me and comes over and I cry and know I will
have to make that decision someday but hopefully not today. Use this
list for support when you need it- thats why we are here!
As for your horse- you might want to try Ester C. We use it as a
general immune system builder. Both of our horses are on it and we have
seen good results with it. Our Cushings mare continues to have good
health- except for this darn lameness problem. She heals well, doesn't
get run down, seems to be avoiding other systemic problems. Let me know
if you want more info on dosage etc. It does have to be Ester C not
regular C. We get ours in a powder and add it to the rest of her
"goodies" everyday.
Chris in CA