BEET PULP

eissagholian@...

Hello,

I want to add Beet Pulp to my mares feed and would like to know the following.

  • Amount I need to feed?
  • How long it has to be soaked before feeding?
  • What brand should I purchase?
  • Do I slowly transition her to Beet Pulp from Bermuda pellets? I am currently mixing her supplements with 1 cup of Bermuda pellets.
Also, can you guys please recommend a nutritionist that can help me balance my mares diet based on blood work and hay analysis?

Thank you in advance for all the help. I am new to this process and appreciate any and all help.

Ani in CA 2022

Case History:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Ani%20and%20Diamond

Hi, Ani.
I want to respond to your question, but first I want to read your case history.

Would you please upload your Case History again? I cannot open the one in your folder, and I tried two different ways.

When you export the PDF from your Word document, be sure to rename the new PDF. The PDF cannot have two suffixes at the end separated by periods. IOW, it cannot be named Diamond Case History.doc.pdf.  It must be Diamond Case History.pdf.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Ani,

I was able to open your Case History with a word type program, but it would be more accessible to everyone if you could save it as a pdf.

You can start transitioning to beet pulp by mixing half and half with the Bermuda pellets for a few days.  Beet pulp needs to be rinsed, soaked in plenty of water a few hours (I just soak 12 or 24 hrs, the time until the next feeding of it depending on how often I feed it, but 2-3 hours is enough), then rinsed again until the water runs clear.  Beet pulp pellets quadruple in size with soaking so 1/4 cup dry will yield about 1 cup soaked, or more.  I'm not sure how much beet pulp shreds expand.

We have a list of people approved to balance diets here:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing/HAY%20BALANCING-1.pdf

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Shevawn Romine

I am having trouble getting the Speedibeet that I usually use.  How to ensure if I get another brand that it is unmolassased?   Not spotting anything on the bag,  such as Standlee.   Thanks .
--
Cassie and Shevawn
03/2015   Gordon, TX

Lorna Cane

Cassie ,the best way to know is usually to contact the company,if the info is not on the bag.

Lorna in Eastern Ontario

 Cassie,

There is actually no way to ensure that. Some companies use molasses as a binder/dust inhibitor and an issue even beyond molasses addition is that when there is a backup of beets to process they will shorten processing time which results in more sugar left in the pulp. We have seen this in the past and it was the cause of the caution to rinse/soak/rinse.

Shevawn, Standlee SmartBeet, whether shreds or pellets, contains molasses by-product that Standlee calls "secondary molasses." I tested one bag of shreds that had very high ESC, 17.4%, dry out of the bag. I haven't tested again because I consider it important to RSR all BP to remove high levels of iron. After RSR, ESC is low, and the shreds are safe to feed with appropriate adjustments to balance the high calcium.

On batch of Standlee SmartBeet pellets actually tested better than the shreds, but analyses can change from mill run to mill run. You can find many analyses of BP in the Files. Some are listed under Beet Pulp, more are listed under Standee Products.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9c%20Analyses%20of%20Various%20Feeds

Bottom line: RSR all Standlee SmartBeet products. If you are concerned about high iron, RSR all BP.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

R/S/R all beet pulp, pellets or shreds, regardless of manufacturer. Period!