Topics

Behavior change with Prascend?

Bonnie Eddy

We got Zane last May for my 8 year old grandson who is a beginning rider.  Zane was very quiet and seemed fine with a child. No real problems at all.
Zane was from a rescue, had about 8  years of minimal handling and neglect. He is about 16 according to vet.
Zane showed signs of PPID with the seasonal rise occurring.  Had him tested in November and his ACTH came back 179 from Cornell. Started him on Prascend 1mg.  The repeat ACTH in December was 20.4.
He has since become increasingly "awake," has gotten forward, a bit belligerent at times, and has now bucked my grandson off. Complete change of temperament.
He has recently been on bute for an eye injury.

I've been on this forum for a few years and have read about personality changes. I also realize the quiet Zane could have been lethargy. When it happens to you, it now becomes personal. My question is, is there any hope for this horse?
I know there is no definite answer, just looking for a hopeful outcome.
"Could be" Prascend, with time it might get better, his true self, ulcers. (Started ulcer treatment).
If we keep this horse, I will then do a case history.
He is on the PPID protocol feed wise.
Thank you as always for your insight and help.
--
Bonnie with Racham (over the rainbow) from Southern California, Nov/2016

Case History
Racham's Photos

Bonnie,

It's virtually impossible to tell whether behavior changes are a Prascend side effect or because the horse feels better when treated. We've seen it both ways.

Ulcers won't do this.

Bonnie Eddy

I would like to ask if anyone who has experienced a personality change with beginning Prascend, what were your end results?

I know we have some unknowns here, but I'd like to explore some possibilities before we think about returning him to the rescue.

He was so good in the beginning for 6 months, I wish he would return to that horse. He is for my 8 year old grandson so he needs to be safe. Just trying to entertain some hope. Or maybe I need a reality check.

Thank you in advance!

--
Bonnie with Racham (over the rainbow) from Southern California, Nov/2016

Case History
Racham's Photos

Lynn

Hi Bonnie,
I did go through this with Relevante....I have gone through my posts and I'm trying to paste the links in order so that you can perhaps find something helpful .....I will apologize ahead of time...it's kind of a lot of reading...LOLOL.

03/19/18

04/30/18

10/07/18

11/14/18

12/07/18

08/26/19

--
I will tell you that after the journey we travelled as chronicled in these posts...he is himself again, stabilized on 2 mg. compounded pergolide with well controlled ACTH. He's not a dead head but he's also not acting like he's tripping on LSD. My vet and my farrier love working on him and my barn owner's 16-year-old daughter has no problem hand walking him [which I'm currently paying her to do]. I'm looking forward to riding him again once we get him to that point. In the meantime I've been doing exercises with him such as crackling the empty plastic bags behind him, rubbing his body with them and even putting them on his head. Yesterday, I had him in cross ties and the barn owner's husband was running a saw behind him, then he was pick axing the floor out of nearby stall. The boy stood calmly throughout - where as before - i would have had to peel him off the ceiling. So hang in there.
Lynn

lamarleau@...

He must feel so much better.  My 30 yr old after starting prascend was like à 10 yr old.  A neighbor even stop me on the street asking if I had a new horse. 😀
--
Francine & Magic in Quebec Nov 2020
Was a member 10 yrs ago with Shamy

Angie

It is possible that your horse was quiet and calm due to PPID.  Once he was on the Prascend and started feeling better, you are now seeing his true personality.

--
Angie
October 2020, Mendocino County, CA

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Angie%20and%20Jacob
Jacob's Photo Album:

gypsylassie

The sad thing is Bonnie, that being a rescue, there may have been some rough handling along the way.   Horses don't forget past mistreatment any better than people do.  He may very well become calmer and "better" with rehab and then training, but it takes time, patience and knowledge to build trust to a place where training can bring him to  where he'll be safe to ride.   If I were in your position, I might keep him if I thought I could bring him along, but I would probably look for another horse for an 8 year old rider.  I have brought a horse back from a very cruel situation, but he reacted to the past abuse by going into "freeze" and was completely shut down, while at the same time, he was a very good riding horse.  I just had to quietly, gently build trust with him until he felt safe to open up.   Then he had such a cute and fun personality and was a delight, but we had to be very diligent in never having anything that looked like a whip or broom,etc. around him and we could never hurry him.
A difficult decision for you, I know.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

gypsylassie

My iPad seems to be acting up.   Not sure why unfinished message may have sent itself. 🤔
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

On Jan 12, 2021, at 2:25 PM, "lcknie@..." <lcknie@...> wrote:

The sad thing is Bonnie, that being a rescue, there may have been some rough handling along the way.   Horses don't forget past mistreatment any better than people do.  He may very well become calmer and "better" with rehab and then training, but it takes time, patience and knowledge to build trust to a place where training can bring him to a place where he'll be safe to ride.   If I were in your position, I might keep him if I thought I could bring him along,

christina Nordstrom

I have experienced behavior changes with my mare since having put her on presend as well. I have told my vet and she has suggested keeping her at a lower dose for longer and then trying to increase the dose. I had to keep my mare at 1/4 a tab for two months and then increase to half a tab and she did have some behavioral issues again but was not as bad as with the beginning of the 1/4 tab. She still will not willingly eat her grain if I try to give that instead of giving her meds via syringe which she loved pre presend. We have been at a 1/2 tab for almost a month. She’s getting better as the month goes on with behavior.
--
Christina in MN 2020