Topics

Best supplement for Heaves/allergies

Looking for recommendation on the best supplement for heaves/allergies. I’ve had my boy Oskar on Smart Breathe Ultra for a few years now with decent success ...during times of a flare up I’ve added Aleira made by Arenus -that was super expensive and it didn’t work all that well. I know most if not all Smartpack supplements aren’t recommended for IR/EMS /Cushings horses -luckily Oskar isn’t in that catagory yet(although he does have navicular) but I’ve made the switch to the Anti Inflammatory diet this summer when I switched my others after my mare Schimpie had a bout of acute laminitis. Anyhow I would like to find a better alternative that’s approved with this diet, and i would like to get him off Ceterizine if possible as well.  He gets steamed low sugar Timothy hay in addition to his ODTBC/VT Blend/Flax/Viramin E and is muzzled spring-fall while pastured.
Thanks in advance

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Lynn

Hi Michele,

You might want to take a look at Uckele's Lung EQ.  I really like it and have it been using it for quite a while. It's safe and in pellet form which is great because my boy is not fond of powders...so I try to keep those to a minimum.
https://uckele.com/lung-eq.html

--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

AnnCN

Hi Michele,

We give our pony Jiaogulan and Spiralina to help with her heaves and have seen good results.  On top of everything else, we had a bad fire season out here in the fall she made it through without any problems (Following Dr. Kellon's suggestion I also gave her N-Acetely-L-Cysteine during and after the terrible smoke to help her recover from that.)

I get the powders from My Best Horse and a bag lasts us a VERY long time, making them very inexpensive to give.  I was already giving her jiaogulan to help with her recovery from her laminitic event last year and like the 2-for-1 benefit.  Over time our pony seems to have grown to like the flavor of them, but we still just make a paste and syringe it.  It's just easier for us.  I have wanted to try Uckele's Lung EQ but  the smallest package is still a bit too large and expensive for me to justify when we already have a solution that is working.  I wish they offered a small sample pack size option for their supplements.
--
Ann Carney Nelson
"mom" to Lolly (20 yr old EMS/PPID Welsh pony who foundered in July 2019)

Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Ann%20and%20Lolly
Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=234320

Lynn

Ann - thanks for mentioning the powders! I should have listed that as an option as well. I went that route first but the boy absolutely would not touch the Spiralina powder or N-Acetely-L-Cysteine powder. So alas.....the more expensive route for me. But he eats it.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Hi Michelle,

Have you tried any homeopathics for him?  For my mare after the MSM stopped working I shifted to homeopathics, Vitamin C and Breather Powder from Springtime for her.  She wouldn't eat the Spirulina so that wasn't an option for her.  As far as the homeopathics, I contacted Animal Wellness Consultants (https://holisticanimal.com/) for advice on that - it's been almost 10 years now so I don't recall exactly what we used for her.

TERRI JENNINGS

In addition to J herb and Spirulina we give Elecampane and Euphrasia (eye bright). I’m not sure if they are safe for IR horses but that combination does the trick for my non-ir/ppid 30 year old. He needed expensive inhalers several times a day during spring and summer but hasn’t needed them for the last 2 years. We have given them during the smoke from fires but more as a preventative. He’s no longer dependent on them to just mosey around the pasture and he’s able to play again. His eye and skin allergies have gone away as well.
--
Terri Jennings with Teeny, Finn and Elliott
Arcata, CA

Thank you! I’m going to look into Lung Eq ! Wondering if I can add more Jiagloun to that if need be for an added boost for the hooves as well?!?

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

I’m thinking I like the 2 for 1 benefit as well ! I’m going to look into the Lung Eq and see how we do! ...I’d like to maybe add additional Uckele Jiagloun for a boost for his hooves as well as all the other benefits that it seems to help with! Looks like Lung Eq contains 1,500 mg Jiagulon ..is there a certain amount that’s recommended for the hoof benefits?? The Uckele Jiagulon says 1 scoop equals 7g

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

I’m a bit hesitant to add any more powders to what he’s already getting as well.

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

I haven’t tried anything like that yet, but I will check them out

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Lynn

Hi Michele,

Wondering if I can add more Jiagloun to that if need be for an added boost for the hooves as well?!?

In addition to the Lung EQ, I also give Relevante a tablespoon of jiaogulan powder from My Best Horse daily. I was giving him two tablespoons per day of jiaogulan but when I started him on Uckele Tendon EQ (which has 2 g jiaogulan leaf), Dr. Kellon recommended I drop the dose of jiaogulan powder to just 1 tablespoon per day. So a long way of saying that in my opinion [an expert chime in if I'm wrong], you can give additional jiaogulan in addition to the Lung EQ.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

I also used SmartBreathe pellets for years for my deceased horse. I found that the combo of Quercetin and Bromelain was very helpful and anti-inflammatory. You will also see those two added to some joint supplements, especially for senior horses. I used to take an arthritis supplement which included both plus other ingredients and found it REALLY reduced my joint aches. Then I found it also raised my BP so had to quit. Anyway, you will find the combo is popular with humans for allergies. I noticed that the combo is also included in Phyto-quench. Phyto-quench doesn't include MSM or alfalfa.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Can you feed Phytoquench in addition to Lung Eq? Or is that overkill ?

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Wondering if anyone does Lung Eq and Phytoquench ? Or Laminox & Phytoquench ? Is that overkill?

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Lynn

Hi Michele - I'm stepping out on a limb here - hopefully one of the experts will chime in....I used Phytoquench early on when Relevante was experiencing pain due to laminitis. It's my understanding that Phytoquench  supports pain relief as a safe alternative to things like bute....one of the vets [Dr. Jaini Clougher] said....

"There is a good anti-oxidant pain reliever called PhytoQuench, that people have had success with:  https://uckele.com/phyto-quench-powder.html  Another anti-oxidant/pain reliever is Mov-Ease from My Best Horse:  http://mybesthorse.com/movease.html

If your goal is to support/relieve allergies i have read that an antioxidant can help to counteract oxidative stress and reduce inflammation. I don't see the harm in trying them both and see how your horse responds...but i hesitate to say this because I'm certainly no expert....
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

About how long does it take the Lung Eq to start working ? I’ve had Oskar on 2 scoops/day since last week and he’s still coughing a bit on it when ridden ...it seems like he coughed less on the Smart Breathe Ultra.

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Lynn

Hi Michele,
Relevante's "allergy" symptoms were a runny nose and a bit of tearing....(not the goopy eyes symptomatic of out-of-control ACTH that he had prior to diagnosis). It all cleared up with a few weeks and has not returned during any part of the year. The directions say.....Use at the rate of 60 g (1 scoop) daily.  May increase to 120 g (2 scoops) daily in times of allergies. I did the increase initially as a "loading" dose but then went to 1 scoop per day as a maintenance dose.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio