Bet lab tests

luktannr@...

What are the Bet lab tests used for cushings - specifically for
determining the correct dose of pergolide?

Makyla Waters <twolegged@...>

<luktannr@...> asks: What are the Bet lab tests used for
cushings - specifically for
determining the correct dose of pergolide?

This lab has done alot work with pregnant or wanting-to-be pregnant mares.
Cushings can cause problems with mares conceiving, so they have looked into
it alot. They believe that the cortisol and insulin levels are the highest
in the morning and as we go throughout the day we use it up and it is at a
low at night. The body rebuilds over night and is up again in the morning.
Makes sense to me that the levels are the highest in the morning to help us
through the day. They think that this cortisol rhythm is over 30%
(difference between AM and PM) in healthy horses and below 30% in Cushings
because their systems are producing too much cortisol all the time. (An
article on their web site explains this better!) I believe I also came
across a web page on humans that talked about a rhythm - will have to go
looking again to find it though.

So BET lab has you draw blood in the morning and again at night and they
look at the levels and the rhythm. I think they do discuss dosage levels
with your vet. So these tests can be used to help diagnose Cushings and to
also see if the current level of permax or cypro is keeping the cortisol
levels down and maintaining a rhythm over 30%. My horse's levels were OK
when he was on .75gm of permax, but his rhythm was low. His thyroid was
also low, so it was suggested that he be put on thyroid and see if that
helped his rhythm.

Hopes this helps...

Take care, Makyla & 4-legged friends