Topics

Bleeding from frog

carolann.wright@...

Hi. I have an 18 year old ex brood mare with controlled Cushings. As the farrier began brushing her frog, her foot poured with blood. This was a few days ago. He said it was nothing to worry about and I didn't actually see what happened but my daughter did. There was great deal of blood. He said she didn't need a vet. We packed her foot and put her boots on. We have dressed it daily and today she is not able to walk to the paddock. We have contacted the vet but can't get through so thought I would see if anyone can throw any light on this.Thanks

Sherry Morse

Hi Carolann,

With no pictures and no idea what else is going on with this mare I think having a vet check her is the best option right now.  When you have a moment can we ask you to please set up an auto-signature for your messages? To do that:

1) Go to this link to amend your auto-signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

2) Look at the bottom of that page for the window to type in your name, general location, and year of joining.

Example:

Sally Doe

TX 2019

NOTE: If/when you are adding a link to your Case History or photos, make sure you make it "live". Adding a space after your link or hitting enter on your keyboard will turn it blue.

3) Make sure you check the 2 boxes saying "Use Signature for Web Posting" and "Use Signature for Email Posting”.

4) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom and hit SAVE!

Hi, Carol Ann, and so happy to see you have joined the Outreach group!

This is a tough one, as "a great deal of blood" means different things in different circumstances. Also, just brushing the frog should not result in blood, or in the sero-sanguinous (bloody fluid but not just blood) from an abscess, unless the abscess was just ready to exit that spot. In any case, this needs input from the vet, and I am sorry that it is Easter, and COVID, and that getting the vet out might be difficult.

I would still go with my comments on FaceBook, that my first concern would not be a bleeding disorder (since the bottom of the hoof is an odd place for that to show up); but a vet visit is definitely indicated - especially since she is now so lame she can't walk. Radiographs are also definitely indicated here.

What a rotten thing to have happen! I don't want to diss your farrier, but I do think he should have suggested a vet visit.

Hang in there.

I have included the instructions for starting a case history, and for uploading photos to your case history file. These instructions may be a little out-dated - if you have any trouble, just post and someone less technologically challenged will walk you through it.

How to upload a case history

Go here to Case History files:   https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files

Click on the blue New Folder button . For folder name, type in your name and Horse's Name, and hit Add.

It will immediately disappear, but fear not! Go to the search box in the upper right, and type in your name and Horse's Name.  Your folder will appear (hopefully).

Click on it, then click on Upload File.

Click on Browse, and find your case history file on your phone or computer etc. Double click on it, or click open (whatever works for your device).  I *think* that is all you need to do. Once you have done that, copy the link to your folder, and put it into your automatic signature.

You might be able to find this information on the main page wiki, Case History Help:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/home#Case-History-Help    and also on the Case History site in the files section:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/1%20Case%20History%20Form%20and%20Instructions

How to post photos in ECIR Case History

(Instructions in the Wiki here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/How-to-Make-a-Photo-Album )

First, make sure your photos are well-labeled, with YYYY-MM-DD first, then the photo name (LF for Left Front etc) then the angle of the shot for hooves (lateral, medial, etc) Instructions in the Wiki here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/Hoof-Related-Photo-Instructions

Go to the Photos page:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/photos

Click on New Album

In the Album title box, type Your Name and Horse Name. Don’t use the & symbol

In the description box, type whatever you like, or type nothing

Click on the blue Create button

You will be taken to your new photo album. Click on Add Photos.

Click on Browse (if that works for you) or drag your photo to the spot. Click on or highlight the desired photo.

Click on Add.

Presto! Done!

If you want to re-name your photo, click on the photo. At the bottom of the page will be some buttons; click on Edit.

The above is for working on a computer; if you work from an ipad, tablet, or smart-phone, go to the Wiki main page https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/home  Scroll down to Photo and Hoof Evaluation Help; scroll down within that to   Photo Instructions for iPad, Tablet and SmartPhone Users.

--
Jaini
Merlin and Maggie (over the bridge), Gypsy, Ranger

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .