Blood work and xrays

Lamourah Perron

My vet is coming out next week to draw blood and xray my mares front hoofs, she foundered in February. She was last xrayed in May,

Are there guidelines for taking xrays and blood work? It is fall here in BC Canada. Will this time of year affect the results of the blood work IE: seasonal rise?

Thank you, I want to go into this knowing what I need so I am not wasting money. Last xrays were not very good.
--
Lamourah Perron
Queens Bay British Columbia

Maxine McArthur

Hi Lamourah
There is information on recommended blood work in your welcome letter here https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/265381
as well as links to how to get the best bang for your buck when doing X-rays. There are detailed instructions in the Wiki for X-rays — just scroll down to the “How to take good photos and hoof X-rays “ section.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Kirsten Rasmussen

This is a great time of year to test ACTH.  If your horse has early PPID, the seasonal rise is when it will be apparent.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lamourah Perron

Hi Kristen
Would this be of value if we have never taken blood to measure the ACTH levels before?

What time of year would be good to get her baseline?

Thank you,
--
Lamourah Perron
Queens Bay British Columbia
Hoof pictures Sept 2021

Kirsten Rasmussen

Yes, it will be of value.  In early PPID horses that may have normal ACTH outside of the seasonal rise, we will see an exagerated or excessively high ACTH compared to what we know is normal during the seasonal rise.  In Canada it's really hard/expensive to do a TRH Stim test to check for early PPID, so the next best option is to check ACTH during the seasonal rise, preferably late Sept to see the peak ACTH.

If you want to see her ACTH outside of the seasonal rise, test between December and June.  But you don't need a baseline to compare current results against.