Bradley Bloodwork

Maureen

Edited

Hello,

Bradley was diagnosed as insulin resistant in 2015 and has been under control since his original episode of laminitis that year.  In spring 2020 I moved to the mountains of North Central Washington State and Bradley was able to be turned out on pasture.  The weather here is cold with daytime highs below freezing from November - February and I have been struggling to manage winter laminitis.  In February 2021, he had a severe bout after a few nights of 20 degrees below zero.  I learned about boots, leg wraps, laminox and phytoquench here and he improved as the weather warmed.

This past winter I got ahead of the cold and started him on laminox, phytoquench, APF and ALCAR in December.  In early January we had about 5 consecutive nights of 20 below zero and he was fine without a blanket, leg wraps or boots.  I took him off the supplements at the end of January and by mid February he was laminitic.  I got him back on the supplements, blanket, leg wraps and boots right away and he bounced back pretty fast.

I did bloodwork last week and the ACTH is high as well as insulin.  My vet wants to start with Chastetree Berry, magnesium and thyroid medication.  I would like to start him on pergolide.  Could the high ACTH have something to do with the winter laminitis in February?

Thank you,
Maureen
North Central Washington State
2015?
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Maureen%20and%20Bradley

Edited

Hi Maureen,

Welcome to the ECIR group.  A new ECIR group member making the first post is sent a formal welcome which contains lots of good information.  We focus on diagnosis, diet, trim and exercise in both resolving and preventing IR related issues.  I realize you are not at all new and this is not your first post but we couldn’t find any record of your having been sent an ECIR welcome.  If in fact you have, no matter, as this letter is updated frequently and everyone can use a refresher.  I edited your message to make the link to your case history live.  I did not edit your signature itself so you will need to do that.  Just press return and then save after the link to turn it blue and make it live.

While winter laminitis could certainly be causing Bradley issues, it quite possible he could also be experiencing “regular” metabolic laminitis.  His insulin is definitely high enough for that to be the issue.  We don’t advise putting insulin resistant horses on any sort of pasture unless wearing a sealed muzzle.  The fact that he’s sensitive to higher carb hay means it’s very likely he will not be able to tolerate grass.  Dead grass and grass roots dug up by the horse can be quite high in sugars.

Chastetree Berry powder does nothing to decrease ACTH.  It has been used successfully to help regulate coat growth.  Some people use both CTB and pergolide but we don’t recommend that because research has noted that the CTB might well diminish the effectiveness of the pergolide.

The emergency diet we recommend and describe below calls for magnesium.  Once your hay has been mineral tested, you may find that it contains adequate Mg.  Thyroid medication is used to jumpstart weight loss.  If Bradley is overweight, which I did not note, it’s fine to use to help get the weight off but it does nothing to lower insulin.  In fact, abnormal thyroid results are most often the result of euthyroid sick syndrome and will resolve once the other metabolic factors are under better control.

High ACTH can exacerbate high insulin in many horses.  Winter laminitis is not metabolic, other than that it occurs more frequently in horses which have suffered laminitis, so I don’t think ACTH would be responsible for winter laminitis.  However, getting it under control might well help to bring the insulin down.  While I would definitely put him on pergolide if he were mine, the ACTH (as tested) is not alarmingly high.  The goal is to keep the ACTH in the high teens or low 20’s.

If you have X-rays to share, please post them so we can give you trim guidance.  I would highly recommend having your current hay tested, using wet chemistry techniques, and having the minerals in the hay balanced appropriately.  Aside from needing enough of each mineral, those need to be in appropriate ratios to be the most effective.  While a mineral balance low ESC+starch hay is beneficial for all horses, it is crucial to the good health of metabolically challenged individuals.  What follows is our welcome letter.

The ECIR Group provides the best, most up to date information on Cushing's (PPID) and Equine Metabolic Syndrome (EMS)/Insulin Resistance (IR). Please explore our website where you'll find tons of great information that will help you to quickly understand the main things you need to know to start helping your horse. Also open any of the links below (in blue font) for more information/instructions that will save you time.

Have you started your Case History? If you haven't done so yet, please join our case history sub-group. We appreciate you following the uploading instructions so your folder is properly set up with the documents inside. Go to this CH message with info on how to use various devices and forms. If you have any trouble, just post a message to let us know where you are stuck.

DIAGNOSIS: There are two conditions dealt with here: Cushings (PPID) and Equine Metabolic Syndrome (EMS)/Insulin Resistance (IR). These are two separate issues that share some overlapping symptoms. An equine may be either PPID or EMS/IR, neither or both. While increasing age is the greatest risk factor for developing PPID, IR can appear at any age and may have a genetic component. Blood work is used for diagnosis as well as monitoring the level of control of each.

PPID is diagnosed using the Endogenous ACTH test, while EMS/IR is diagnosed by testing non-fasting insulin and glucose.

The fat-derived hormone leptin is also usually abnormally elevated in insulin resistance but because there are many other things which can lower or increase leptin ECIR is not recommending routine testing for this hormone. Leptin is the hormone that says "stop eating".

In Europe, adiponectin is tested instead of leptin. Adiponectin helps regulate glucose and fat burning, and maintain insulin sensitivity. Low levels are associated with EMS. It has come to be preferred over leptin because it is not influenced by things like weight or exercise, and also because it was the only factor other than insulin levels that predicted laminitis risk

Treatment: EMS is a metabolic type - not a disease - that is managed with a low sugar+starch diet and exercise (as able). The super-efficient easy keeper type breeds such as minis, ponies, Morgans, Arabs, Rockies are some of the classic examples. PPID is a progressive disease that is treated with the medication pergolide. Some, but not all, individuals may experience a temporary loss of appetite, lethargy and/or depression when first starting the medication. To avoid this "pergolide veil" (scroll down for side effects), we recommend weaning onto the drug slowly and the use of the product APF. The best long term results are seen when the ACTH is maintained in the middle of the normal range at all times, including during the annual seasonal rise. To accomplish this, the amount of medication may need to increase over time. Neither condition is ever "cured", only properly controlled for the remainder of the equine's life. If your partner is both PPID and IR then both medication and diet management will be needed.

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)
  • mineral balanced

EXERCISEThe best IR buster there is, but only if the equine is comfortable and non-laminitic. An individual that has had laminitis needs 6-9 months of correct realigning trims before any serious exercise can begin. Once the equine is moving around comfortably at liberty, hand walking can begin in long straight lines with no tight turns. Do not force a laminitic individual to move, or allow its other companions to do so. It will begin to move once the pain begins to subside. Resting its fragile feet is needed for healing to take place so if the animal wants to lay down, do not encourage it to get up. Place feed and water where it can be reached easily without having to move any more than necessary. Be extremely careful about movement while using NSAIDs (bute, banamine, previcox, etc.) as it masks pain and encourages more movement than these fragile feet are actually able to withstand. Additionally, NSAIDs (and icing) do not work on metabolic laminitis and long term NSAID use interferes with healing. Therefore, we recommend tapering off NSAIDs after the first week or so of use. If after a week's time your equine's comfort level has not increased, then the cause of the laminitis has not been removed and keeping up the NSAIDs isn't the answer - you need to address the underlying cause.

with coat growth.  Some people use both CTB and pergolide but we don’t recommend that because research has noted that the CTB might well diminish the effectiveness of the pergolide.

[...]

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Hi Maureen,

Given Bradley's high insulin now I would be looking at starting him on Pergolide for the elevated ACTH and Metformin to get his insulin down (this is dosed at 30mg/kg twice a day).  You should recheck insulin 7 - 10 days after starting Metformin to see if it's effective for him.  You also need to get his diet changed which includes no more pasture unless he's in a completely sealed muzzle (this will allow him to drink water but we don't recommend they're turned out longer than 4 hours with a sealed muzzle).

Why is your vet recommending thyroid medicine?  It will help jump start weight loss if needed but will not bring down insulin levels by itself.

Without knowing what his insulin was over the winter we can't guess why he was laminitic but were he mine going forward I would always keep him warm when the weather is cold rather than chancing a laminitic event.

Edited

Oops,  My fingers must have slipped while I was posting and pasted something unnecessarily.  Hang on and I will correct it!
Sorry about that!

Done!  It’s super hot here (for us) and my fingers are damp and somehow everything got duplicated unintentionally.