Cadet's insulin is even lower with full time track life

riggslippert@...

Hello,

I just wanted to provide a quick update on Cadet; I am thrilled with his new results from 10/6/21!  His glucose fell from 104 mg/dL on 8/18/21 to 86 mg/dL (RR 71-122 mg/dL) and his insulin fell from 76.6 uIU/mL to 27.1 uIU/mL (RR 10-40 uIU/mL).  New ACTH was 19.2 pg/mL.  I did increase his pergolide from 1.6 mg QD to 2.5 mg QD between these two tests, but he has had ACTH less than 20 pg/mL in the past with insulins much higher.  There were no changes in his diet or exercise by me, but he has lost some weight (60-70 lbs).  He also went from part time to full time on a fairly short track after we managed to eliminate all the green stuff on it.  I was so surprised by these results that I called Cornell; the endocrinologist said they haven't changed their assay since 2016 and all the quality control processes were good.  She also mentioned the insulin is very stable and doesn't degrade easily like ACTH does.  I handled the samples myself and they reached Cornell overnight.

I would absolutely encourage anyone who is considering establishing a track for their EMS horse to go for it!  We are at a small boarding facility and the owner has been wonderful in facilitating the project, providing some materials and tractor work, while we have provided some materials and labor.  Cadet is currently doing better overall than he has in the past two years.  I am very glad I took the chance on bringing him with us when we moved; it was a tough decision.  He would never have gotten to this point without the excellent advice provided by this group.  Thank you so much!
--
Aunna
October 2018

Cadet Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=84102

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Excellent news, Aunna! Thanks for the update.

Glad he is doing so well :)

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Aunna,

Did you get an Idexx reading too this time?  Looks like you go mineral balancing for the first time in August too. Is he still on Invokana?

riggslippert@...

No Idexx result; I don't have easy access since the move.  Yes to ECIR mineral balancer since August; before that I was doing it myself, but the new hay was a little "challenging" (thank you Kathleen!).  Yes, he is still on Invokana 300 mg QD, coming up to one year given consistently by me.