Topics

calcium to magnesium balance/ dr kellon or moderator good with mineral balance

Daisy Shepherd

hello, please help;  my tiko gets daily 30 grams of 60% magnesium oxide from horse tech which is = to 18grams of elemental magnesium, his vit/mineral supplement is equi-vm which he gets one full scoop daily,  one scoop has 1135 mg of magnesium listed as magnesium oxide and magnesium sulfate, no calcium listed; my hay as sampled  % of calcium at .41 and g/lb at 1.86; same hay magnesium at .25 % and g/lb at 1.15. all  of this is in my case hx; he gets about 18# of hay and about 4 to 6 hours grazing poor pasture per day, his weight is down to 1030 with tape weight,  he is very trim for his body type, daily exercise ( barn presently in lock down due to coronavirus so no exercise as i am not allowed to visit ) magnesium blood levels also listed done at cornell, due to be checked again this spring along with metabolic test , thyroid level and vit e. i give him extra magnesium for severe quivering  in his withers up into a portion of his top line, quivering not gone but much better.  are the calcium and magnesium ok  and what about his weight, also energy level is down so think he does not need more weight off,  a 5/10 for body scale. thank you, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I would reduce his Mg oxide to 10 grams. That will give you a Ca:Mg ratio of 1.2:1.

His BCS is more important than the weight tape.

Even a "poor" pasture can be quite dangerous this time of year, especially without exercise.

Daisy Shepherd

thank you dr kellon for the magnesium info.   i do realize this season  and no exercise, i am very worried as i have worked hard through the winter  to keep tiko in balance in spite of the weather; at 73  it can be a challenge ; there is no one there to do his exercise, i would gladly pay for that service; hopefully when this 2 weeks is up i can work out some kind of agreement with them;  it is not for my sake it is for his well being.  thank you again, daisy and tiko