Topics

California Trace Plus vitamin E and iodine

grandmalynn44

I am feeding my IR mare and my PPID gelding California Trace Plus. I have tried to find information in messages about the Vitamin E in California Trace Plus and whether I need to add additional vitamin E.  The same with iodine, which is included in this supplement.  Since I'm now feeding 2 tlbs. of iodized salt should I switch to noniodized salt? Can I quit my Vitamin E pills?
I think this has been discussed before but I cannot find it.
Lynn McKechnie

N. California, May, 2011

Mica:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Mica
Bodie:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Bodie

grandmalynn44

I did another search and found the answers I need.
--
Lynn McKechnie

N. California, May, 2011

Mica:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Mica
Bodie:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Bodie

Bev

I am also interested in this topic Lynn. If you don't mind sharing what you have found I would appreciate it.
Thank you in advance,

Bev and Majestic
--
- Bev and Majestic
May, 2017

grandmalynn44

This is what I found from reading quite a few messages:  even though California Trace Plus contains 1950 iu of vitamin E, it's not in a readily usable form, (my interpretation) so continue to give Vitamin E in pill or powder (with added oil) as if there were no other vitamin E in the supplement. It seems the case is the same for salt, continue to give iodized salt even though there is iodine listed as one of the ingredients.  If I'm not reading the messages correctly, I hope the moderators will clear up any mistakes I made.
--
Lynn McKechnie

N. California, May, 2011

Mica:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Mica
Bodie:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Bodie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There's nothing wrong with the vitamin E it just needs fat for best absorption. One thing you could do is soak the pellets or powders in oil for a few hours before feeding. Just don't count on full vitamin E activity if it is over 6 months old.

The iodine is as available as any other source. If you are currently also using iodized salt it's fine to continue that with no risk of toxicity.

marian kelly

Does ground flax work as a source of fat that allows the Vitamin E to be processed, or is actual oil necessary for this?

Thanks very much!
Marian and Lupin
October 2017, Maryville TN
Lupin Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marian%20and%20Lupin    .
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=10302   .

Rebecca Reddicliffe Bigelow

Michele Einarson

I, too, am curious if freshly ground whole flax seed provides enough oil for vitamin E absorption.  Any thoughts?
--
Michele & Mosey, 2019
Reno, NV, USA

Nancy C

Hi Marian and Michelle

Unfortunately flax does not provide fat source sufficient to carry the Vit E.  One thing Dr Kellon has said about this has always stuck with me.  In the vast soup that is the equine stomach, you need the fat and E to be together or it will get lost.  So if you are not using an E already in a fat source -- Caps with soy oil or a micronized E -- you need to add fat.  Ideally you want to mix the two together before feeding.  I have used a small amount of olive oil. Just enough to put four or five caps in.

If you are using a supplement with E in it, you want to add more E, or add oil as Dr Kellon has suggested previously, and not use if over six months old.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA