Topics

Centipede Grass sugar ratings?

Deirdre O'Malley

Does anyone know of Centipede Grass (Eremochloa ophiuroides) in the Carolinas is high in sugars? It's in a pasture that my horses graze and one is IR. So I'm watching her intake. But I can't find anything on the internet about the sugar content of this particular grass. Does any one know anything about it? Dr Kellon, do you have any insight?
--
Deirdre O'Malley
Raleigh, North Carolina

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

It's a warm season/tropical grass with the typical low protein after a few weeks growth. Sugar will be increased by overgrazing, drought, nutrient stress (inadequate fertilization), time of  day. Any grass can have too much sugar/starch under the right circumstances.

Many grasses/hays in NC have inverted Ca:P ratios. I'd strongly suggest you analyze it.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001