Topics

Changed to Chasteberry decrease pergolide effects?

Joy V

"I would stop the Chastetree berry because there is always the potential for it to decrease pergolide effects."

Dr. Kellon, is this only a possibility or is it inevitable?  I ask because I recently added chasteberry to my horse's supplements (with a lovely, positive effect) but I don't want to screw up the effects of the Prascend.  His ACTH is very well controlled with one pill at this point (tested).  Thanks in advance for any info.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

In most cases, it doesn't appear to happen - although we don't have any organized studies on it. I do know of two horses where it did decrease pergolide action. Bottom line is to be alert for the possibility.

Joy V

Very good to know, thanks Dr. Kellon, I'll keep a close eye.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019