Topics

chickens in horse hay/ chance for salmonella with my IR horse

Daisy Shepherd

at my boarding place, they have free roaming chickens.  tonite as my horse ate his soaked hay( 4# is what he gets soaked  other is dry), there were 3 chickens scratching and eating with him. my concern is salmonella;  do i need to worry?   my history : about 20 yrs ago my morgan mare had salmonella that probably came from chickens and ducks that frequented her living space;  vet diagnosed;  she was extremely ill, vet thought she might die; she did not but was extremely ill for about 10 days before she started to improve.  i did change boarding places.   i would not choose to have my tiko  go through this.  can some one with knowledge on this please give me some advice?  thank you so much, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Chickens and ducks do pose a Salmonella risk https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/backyardpoultry-05-20/index.html and it is estimated about 20% of chickens are infected. It would be wise to keep the chickens out of horse feeding areas. However, many horses carry and even shed Salmonella. Other potential sources are rodents, other birds. https://ceh.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/health-topics/salmonellosis

celestinefarm

Daisy, my neighbor's chickens a couple of years ago decided they liked to roam over to my barn. They would spend the day crapping on everything and laying eggs in the hay, which would end up either rolling down between the wall and bale stack or be buried enough in the hay that they would end up smashed on the hay and I lost half a bale to the mess.  My neighbors finally stopped allowing them to free roam, but one chicken refused to go back home and she ended up becoming kind of a pet. I kept her for about two or three months, but in that time, she learned to roost on top of Tipperary's stall wall, where she would vent into his water buckets.  Or down the wall, In the aisle , where I or others would track it into the tack room or my truck.
I found a home for the chicken with a friend who keeps chickens.  It took me days to find and clean up the mess they left behind. I would do everything I could to not have my horse around chickens.  I know other animals shed salmonella but chicken manure is not easy to find in hay, feed. You can't keep water buckets clean 24/7 with chickens roaming, flying and roosting.  Just my opinion but based on a years worth of experience.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Daisy Shepherd

thank you dawn.  since my horses are boarded, i have no control;  i have voiced what i know about poultry and salmonella and my past experience  but it is up to them as  it is their property. i do daily rake  the areas where little chicken feet have gone that are in my horse area but i do not know what else i can do.  thank you for your message, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Daisy Shepherd

thank you; i read those 2 sites that you posted.  my horse is boarded so i can only voice the info;  i do rake my horse area daily where i see all the chicken feet.  thank you again, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

We had a barn chicken for a few years.  She was the last of the laying flock and we thought she would be warmer over the winter in a horse stall.  She had her own box but after awhile we began letting her explore the barn and make herself at home.  She was very cute!  She made herself a nest from Logo’s hay droppings on the barn floor right outside his stall .  They didn’t share food so that wasn’t an issue.  But, when I think of all the other critters that share the barn with the horses, chickens might be the least of the problem.  Whenever there’s food around, there’s going to be company.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Daisy Shepherd

thank you martha.  our barn is a shed row of 4 covers and runs so very open with hay stored at the far end.  owners have 18 chickens that  roam free part of the day  so i hope for the best . i do hand rake my horse area daily while horse is out for his 6+ hours daily, they seem to love his hay piles. so far he stays well. daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Another drawback to having free ranging chickens round horses is the possibility of aggravating the lungs of horses who have breathing issues. My deceased horse Mouse had developed heaves from eaten dusty hay that was fed in a raised hay rack/bunk feeder. He had permanent damage from the heaves. Yes it can permanently damage their lungs. It ended his endurance career but he was very rideable for trails/pleasure riding. Then I had to start boarding him. The farm he was moved to had free ranging chickens and his hay bales were kept on wooden pallets in an unused horse stall, dirt floor. The farm owner kept the stall door open and the chickens would enter the stall and scratch thru the floor debris. The dust they stirred up ended up on his hay bales and it aggravated his lungs again. I actually searched for info about chickens and horses and found opinions from vets and barn owners that it appears the normal activity of chickens were the cause of lung aggravation. Thankfully the barn owner was responsive to my request to keep the stall door shut for the most part.

Just my own observations
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Daisy Shepherd

thank you. it is certainly a dilemma for those of us who board.  daisy and tiko