Topics

CocoOmega Effect on Insulin

Sherry Hite

I have a question that may need a response from Dr Kellon.  I recently tapered Pepper off of her Metformin to see if it was having still having an effect on her insulin (she has been on it since December 2018).  I had a glucose/insulin done before I starting reducing the Metformin and she had her last dose of reduced Metformin on 1/19/20.  There were no signs of insulin increase.. she was very active, moving freely, feisty and eating well. No crest enlargement.  Blood was drawn for a glucose/ insulin on 1/30/20.   Her glucose went from 90 mg/dL to 100 mg/dL and her insulin went from 43.66 ulU/mL to 73.79 ulU/mL.  The only change other change to her diet other than eliminating the Metformin was the addition of 2oz of CocoOmega to replace half of her flax seed on 1/20/20. (Needed something that would bind the powdered supplements to the beat pulp but not dissolve the LMF Stage One to powder)   I am tempted to put her back on the Metformin but had 3 questions:

1.  Can the 2oz of CocoOmega cause the insulin increase?
2.  If so, would it be best to keep her off the Metformin, stop the CocoOmega and retest in a week?
3.  If I put her back on the Metformin, is there a chance that starting her back on it after a 3-4 week break from it will cause an increase in its effectiveness similar to when she started taking it over a year ago?

This group has been a blessing to me in managing Pepper and so far has kept her from a full blown laminitis episode....
--
Sherry & Pepper, August 2015, No. Calif

Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Pepper

Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=5798  .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There's nothing about CocoOmega, oil or granular, that would cause insulin to jump.

Others have reported no change in insulin after stopping medication - at least for the short term. I'm not surprised to hear that can reverse over time.

Other factors to consider include timing of the blood draws, environmental temperature, exercise (formal or voluntary) prior to the blood draw.

I don't know the answer to your question about her being more sensitive to it after a break.

I'd also like to mention here that while metformin has been documented to lose some effectivness over time that doesn't mean it has no effects at all.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale until January 31, 2020
EC Owner 2001

Sherry Hite

Thank you Dr. Kellon for confirming that the CocoOmega is not the culprit.  I thought it was safe but couldn't find anything to confirm that for sure.  Her draw times are always 10AM and she is confined to her paddock eating while I clean until the vet tech arrives to draw.  The temperature was a little bit lower on the second draw but only 5 degrees.  That leaves the elimination of the Metformin as a likely possibility.  I will start her back on it tonight and retest in a week or two.  It will be interesting to see what affect the restart has on her insulin level.  Got my fingers crossed!!!  She has been doing so well the last year and I definitely don't want to backtrack to where she started.  I will post back to this message when I get the results.  Thanks again for your help!!!
--
Sherry & Pepper, August 2015, No. Calif

Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Pepper

Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=5798  .

Sherry Hite

Dr. Kellon,

I started Pepper back on the Metformin but had challenges with getting the medication into her.  After she developed mouth irritation with syringing (tried both water and oil) I changed to sprinkling the medication on her soaked hay.  She most often leaves some of her LMF/ supps behind so mixing it in with them was not a good option.  Her blood was drawn on 3/10/20 after two weeks of Metformin and the insulin result was higher (81.25 ulU/mL) than it was before I put her back on the Metformin (73.79 ulU/mL)    She started to refuse her hay after the blood was drawn so I stopped the Metformin on 3/15/20 since it didn't appear to be helping.  Would you consider her a candidate for Invokana?  Thank you for your assistance!