Topics

Cola!

Vmperisse@...

I understand that he should not be on a high fat diet. He currently doesn't get any from what I give him. I would be interested in a safe fat suggestion since he should be getting some to support the vit. E uptake.
Flax is inflammatory which is why I'm asking about the Cocosun which from a different source said it would be safe.
--
Victoria P NJ 2021

Sherry Morse

Hi Victoria,

Has Cola had a reaction to flax and that's why you want to avoid it? We recommend it because it mimics the Omega 3:6 ratio found in grass which many other fat sources do not.  You may find this message from Dr. Kellon helpful:https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/245266

As far as the oil for Vitamin E support - you can buy Vitamin E capsules in oil (not glycerin) which will provide all the oil that the Vitamin E needs to work properly.

Vmperisse@...

Yes. I mentioned in the original post that Flax  causes him inflammation. As far as the pills go he'll just spit them out.  Are you supposed to squeeze them out on his food everyday?
What is a "small amount" of Cocosun?
--
Victoria P NJ 2021

Lorna Cane

Victoria,have you tried a number of times to get him to take the capsules? Sometimes it can seem to them as if it's a foreign object.Isn't like what they are used to in their bucket. If it were me I would pick the capsule up and either put it back in bucket or try it by hand,alone,or with a few pellets,or a cube. Just to see if he would get used to it.
You can squeeze them out,but sounds pretty tedious.
Can't find a case history......are they just the 400iu size? Sometimes the 1000iu size is too big for some.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Hi Victoria,

Lorna's already provided you with some suggestions for getting him to eat the capsules. You can also use Nano-E which is a liquid designed for horses.  What symptoms do you see when he's fed flax?  And as far as the Cocosun - did you read the messages from Dr. Kellon?

Ronelle

Maybe try softening the capsules in hot water?  In the winter my horse gets hot mash so the caps soften up in the mash, but in the summer I heat in my microwave about 1/2 cup of water with the caps till they melt.  I stir it up until the caps break up and then pour onto the mash.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

Vmperisse@...

The b/o does not have a microwave at the barn or hot water. I can't expect them to heat it up to help soften.
He spits out every pill I've ever tried to give him unless very well hidden in something good. He is also a messy eater so someone would have to stand there and watch and make sure he gets everything which I know won't happen. He will drop it it then refuse what you give to avoid the pill.

I only saw the one message about Cocosun in small amounts which is why I asked what that means exactly.
Flax causes inflammation for him.
I have his supplements spread across two feedings and I cant be there every day twice a day to do it myself.
Is Nano-e a natural source?
--
Victoria P NJ 2021

Nancy C

Hi Victoria

Cocosoya oil is not a flax replacement.

As outlined in the links Sherry supplied, a small amount means 4 ounces at most. It does not replace flax.

Flax does not have enough fat for Vitamin e absorption. That is why ECIR recommends vitamin e caps in soy oil. Soy oil is safe. Alternatively use a tablespoon of olive oil to deliver the vitamin e.

Many folks have used flax oil or chia seed for horses who do not like flax meal. Chia seed has correct omega ratios but is more expensive than flax.

Feed bags with a handful of Nuzu or other safe grain work well to help get pills into fussy horses.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

Vmperisse@...

Thank you for explaining everything so plainly. I will look into these options. I think the b/o could handle a little oil topper.
--
Victoria P NJ 2021