Topics

Commercial Feed Analysis Library - Fri, 11/08/2019 #cal-notice

main@ECIR.groups.io Calendar <noreply@...>

Commercial Feed Analysis Library

When:
Friday, 8 November 2019

Commercial Feed Analysis Library

Over the years individual ECIR Group members have sent various commercial feeds to be tested then generously shared the information. The Commercial Feed Analysis Library is a new term for an old file folder where any member can go and view unbiased analyses of commercial feeds. These analyses are a valuable part of the science that the ECIR uses to help our IR and PPID horses and are valuable tools used to prevent laminitis.

If you have an analysis of a commercial feed please, instead of uploading it to your own folder, please consider sharing it with the entire group by by notifying us here.

View the Commercial Feed Analysis Library

Thanks for your help and cooperation.

- ECIR Group Owners and Support Team

Julie Thomas

Hi.  When you say "by notifying us here"...where is here?
Based on the analysis for the Haystack Timothy Pellets in the Commercial Feed Analysis Library, I have been using that product as my supplement carrier.  However, I recently read a post here that said using such single-test data as if it is consistent is like playing Russian roulette with your IR/PPID horse's health since it doesn't guarantee each bag/batch has the same results.  Using the information regarding what we need to know from the manufacturer that was in that post, I contacted Haystack for answers.  I want to share their response and get an opinion regarding whether I need to find a different carrier.  How/where, exactly, do I share that information?  Thanks!

--
- Julie Thomas
September 2018, Seabeck, WA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

 Julie,

Unless your reply from Hystack had a confidentiality message on it, you may post it here.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

Julie Thomas

Below is the question I asked, and Haystack's response including a table with results.  Is it ok to use the Timothy Pellets and/or Teff Pellets as a supplement carrier?

ASKED: I have insulin resistant (IR) horses who currently enjoy your Timothy Grass Pellet and Teff Hay Pellets.  Are you able to provide the below information?
1. What is the actual/analyzed NSC of the product?

2. Is the NSC checked by analysis on all individual ingredients before the feed is made?

3. Is the NSC checked by analysis on the finished product after every production run/batch?

4. What are the actual (not average, estimated or guaranteed) mineral levels in the finished product?  Need to know: calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron, copper, zinc. manganese, selenium, and, preferably, sulfur, cobalt and molybdenum as well.

5. Are the mineral levels checked on every production run/batch of the product?

HAYSTACK RESPONSE: There isn’t a way to provide an absolute number on any of the products. We do test the sugars, proteins, and fats during each batch. We are dealing with a living product which will vary at the cutting of hay, the time it was cut, the variety of grass or alfalfa etc.... There is an range of the perimeters that you requested that we could give you when we get back into town, but it is unrealistic to determine an exact number of every variable that you are wanting. When testing occurs a sample is collected and ran. This sample is about the size of a cup from a several ton batch. We test those and over time we  get an average of what we are providing in our finished product.  I have been an equine veterinarian for 27 years and have developed these feeds. I have many clients with IR horses, cushing’s Horses, etc... that have done very well on our teff and Timothy pellets.  Sorry, I can’t give you exact numbers, but appreciate your email. {end response}

Since I don't see a way to attach the range of info that she sent (a Word document), I'm attempting to copy/paste it here:

HAYSTACK HORSE PRODUCTS NUTRIENT RANGES

PRODUCT

CP

%

FAT

%

STARCH

%

WSC

%

ESC

%

NSC

%

CAL

PER POUND

OMEGA

3:6

LYSINE

%

CA

%

%

MG

%

%

FE

PPM

ZN

PPM

CU

PPM

SPECIAL BLEND

14-

15.1

6-7.1

1.0-2.9

6.6-9.6

4.4-6.2

7.6-12.5

1300-1500

1.1:1.0

0.55-0.75

0.76-0.91

0.30-0.44

0.23-0.28

1.14-1.29

296-420

23-28

6-8

LOW/

LOW

11.1-12.7

2.5-3.8

1.3-3.0

6.0-8.0

6.8-7.3

7.3-11.0

1000-1190

----

0.47-0.74

0.66-

0.82

0.24-0.44

0.18-0.21

0.67-0.92

188-304

21-23

5-8

TEFF HAY

PELLETS

10-12

2-3

0.5-0.9

7-8.7

5.4-6.4

7.5-9.5

900-990

-----

0.44-

0.51

0.57-

0.61

0.28-0.29

0.24

1.34-1.48

489-559

28-30

7-9

TEFF PLUS

10-12

3-5

0.5-0.9

7-8.7

5.4-6.4

7.5-9.5

900-990

3:1

0.44-

0.53

0.57-

0.61

0.28-0.29

0.24

1.34-1.48

489-551

28-30

7-9

ALFALFA PELLETS

17.2-20.0

1.8-2.3

0.9-1.55

7.6-8.9

5.9-6.7

8.7-11.0

920-1000

----

0.87-0.99

1.0-

1.39

0.22-0.31

0.35-0.41

1.57-2.29

420-559

17-22

7-10

TIMOTHY

PELLETS

8.9-11.2

2.3-3.4

0.2-0.5

11.0-12.5

6-9

11.2-12.7

800-890

----

0.31-0.39

0.17-

0.19

0.15-0.21

0.10-0.17

1.41-1.73

88-128

19-21

4-7

ORCHARD

PELLETS

12.1-12.8

2.0-2.3

1.3-2.8

11.2-13.6

5.9-8.3

12.5-14.5

890-960

----

0.41-0.47

0.44-

0.52

0.26-0.28

0.22-0.25

1.52-1.64

206-325

18-23

6-8

- Julie Thomas
September 2018, Seabeck, WA
Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Julie-Ike-Sparky  .
Ike Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73042  .
Sparky Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73044  .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

 Teff is the best choice of these. The timothy and orchard could  be a bit high for sensitive horses.