Topics

Cornell label and instructions

Bobbie Day

Can someone direct me to the location of the overnight label and instructions for the Cushing’s blood work?  I had it now I can’t locate it. Desi’s being tested Monday and need to send to the vets ASAP.
thank you
--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Bobbie Day

Thanks
They’re set on using their regular lab, I don’t understand why this is so hard but I guess at this point I have to pick my battles.
I did ask however if I could supply a cooler and dry ice so it would arrive cold.

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Bobbie Day

Well just got a note from the vet that des’s meds are in I can pick them up tomorrow!
I have no idea the dosage but before I give it to her I’m going to check with Dr.Kellon or group about how much she should actually get since she hasn’t been tested as yet.
Yeah 😞
Thanks everyone for your encouragement, sure hope this helps our girl

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Hi, Bobbie - It took me a while to find it!  It is in the "Sending blood work to Cornell " folder  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Blood%20Testing%20for%20IR%20and%20PPID/Sending%20Blood%20Work%20to%20Cornell  under the  "Blood Testing for IR and PPID" folder:   https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Blood%20Testing%20for%20IR%20and%20PPID
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=34193.

Hi, Bobbie - good news!  When starting pergolide, you start out at 0.25 mg per day, for 4 days, then go to 0.5 mg per day for 4 days, then 0.75 mg per day for 4 days, then you will be at your initial target dose of 1.0 mg. Some horses get the "Pergolide Veil", a transient condition of spaciness, lethargy, and reduced appetite, but this is usually circumvented by starting at the lower dose as above.

Another thing that can help is APF. from Auburn Labs  https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=9a7664ab-4a95-4553-9f58-37c44fdf6a82

There is a bunch of information about using and storing pergolide here, in "Pergolide 101"  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/3%20Cushings%20Disease%20-%20PPID/Cushings%20Disease%20Treatments/Pergolide    or on the website  https://www.ecirhorse.org/pergolide.php

I have all my fingers and toes crossed!
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger
ECIR mod/support, BC 09
DDT+E = effective treatment for PPID and EMS/IR equines: https://bit.ly/2J4ZgYT

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=34193.

Jaini gave you a nice rundown on starting pergolide. Just wait until after the blood is drawn. You could start tapering her on right away or wait for the results to come in.

www.drkellon.com  Tis The Season 2 for 1 Sale
EC Owner 2001

Bobbie Day

Thanks, that helps a lot. When I read all the studies and Dr.Kellons articles it all makes so much sense now. We actually lost a mare several years ago and she presented all these symptoms. We had the vet out several times with no diagnosis. We finally had to put her down. I’m just curious why more vets aren’t more familiar with this?
It’s just sad, even our younger vet that relocated when I spoke to her about Desi she suggested euthanasia and said if I put her on meds she wouldn’t eat and it would be forever. I’m just curious if this is the norm or is this thinking more common among the small town vets?
Bobble

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Bobbie Day

Another thought 😋
She is getting blood drawn on Monday, should I hold off giving her the Prascend until after? So it doesn’t scew the results?

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Bobbie Day

Disregard
Ok I just asked that, I’ll wait until afterwards.
Thank you

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018