Topics

Cornell vs. BET lab results for Insulin now UPDATE

taskerudet

Dr. Kellon,

Crackers’ most recent October blood tests show a great improvement in insulin.  Insulin dropped from 44 uIU/mL to 27.72.  The insulin in two tests last September and November were both over 200 uIU/mL. Nothing in his management has changed since discontinuing Metformin and adding WIRX to his feeding regimen this past January when his Insulin was 671.60 uIU/mL. He has been fed the same soaked Orchard Hay for the entire testing time between the end of 2018 and last week.  He has just started being fed a new tested and balanced batch of Orchard Hay this week.  What reasons would I have to doubt the efficacy of WIRX?

The IR calculator has not budged on the Uncompensated IR result but I am jumping for joy with these numbers. I will test again in January.  I don’t believe he has ever had all the numbers low at one time.  All tests results are updated in my case history.

--
Ellen
July 2011, Goldendale, WA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Glad to hear it. Just clarifying, were you feeding the same batch of hay from September 2018 until last week?  Has he lost weight?

Cheryl Oickle

Curious...was he lame at all with insulin as high as 600?
As well is he Cushings?

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

taskerudet

Dr. Kellon,

Yes the same hay and no weight loss and no loss of interest in the hay. I purchased this orchard grass hay from a farmer in Madras, Oregon. His farm is called Healthy Hay 4 Horses and I believe it is. It is clean and tested to the standards of this group. Prior to moving to Washington State from California I fed tested bermuda and he didn't eat it with the gusto he has for the Orchard Grass.
--
Ellen
July 2011, Goldendale, WA
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Ellen%20and%20Crackers
Crackers' Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1645

taskerudet

Cheryl,

He was tender footed with the extremely high insulin and I had boots for him. In addition, he had terrible thrush and along his back the skin had some kind of gunk on it. I was giving him metformin which only seemed to act opposite of expected. His demeaner changed drastically from silly boy to freakazoid.He definitely was not right. We have our silly boy back and he is sound. He is cushings and has been on 5 mg pergolide capsules for some time now. During his insulin rise, increasing pergolide had no affect on insulin even as it decreased the ACTH.