Cortisol level and PPID

Marie

Hello, please help. In the week 4 is written ,,cortisol levels are often elevated in PPID horses, but in week 5 is written ,,PPID is characterized by increased production of cortisol because of increased levels of ACTH. Where is the true? I don ´t understand it.

Thank you
--
Marie Volsicka
Mid Europe

Trisha DePietro

Hi Marie. So, I think you are asking if ACTH causes increases in cortisol levels and the answer is yes. "cortisol levels are often elevated in PPID horses" is a general overarching statement.   the next sentence " PPID is characterized by increased production of cortisol because of increased levels of ACTH." So both statements are true...one is more specific than the other. I think the second sentence could be restated as " Because of increased levels of ACTH, Cortisol can be elevated in PPID horses. .....Where did you find this information and what is week 4 and week 5 referring to?  Hope this helps...
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Marie

In first sentence should be cortisol levels are often NOT elevated. I ´m sorry. So horse with PPID can have elevated cortisol, but they haven ´t to have elevated cortisol. Am I right?
--
Marie Volsicka
Mid Europe

Marie

Weeks are IR and PPID course of Eleanor Kellon.
--
Marie Volsicka
Mid Europe

Trisha DePietro

Hi Marie. Dr. Kellon recommends that you go to this site:   https://cir2016.groups.io/g/main  and join that subgroup to get answers to your questions....Hope this helps.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos
Primary Responder

Trisha DePietro

Join the August 2021 Subgroup Marie. I forgot to include the specific subgroup you should join.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos
Primary Responder

Marie

I joint the group but without answer. There is only 7 members.

--
Marie Volsicka
Mid Europe

Nancy C

Hi Marie

You may  hear from Dr. Kellon from on the August subgroup, regardless of the size. It has just closed yesterday.

That said, you may also want to wait a bit. The November course is getting ready to open shortly and you can go through the whole course again.
--
Nancy C in NH

Recordings of the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference released to attendees 09.03.21.
Veterinary Professional CE certification hours submitted to AAVSB Race 09.08.21