From: EquineCushings@...
To: EquineCushings@...
Subject: [EquineCushings] Digest Number 24
Date: Sat, Apr 22, 2000, 2:57 AM
Both of your Permax prices sound better than what I am paying, although I
haven't gotten out my calculator to compare. I get 90 1mg. tablets for about
$195. I was incorrect when I said Domino got .25...he's been getting .5mg
for a year and now I've gone to 1mg...at a cost of about $5/day. It wouldn't
hurt for me to look for a cheaper supply.

Kay Howitt <akkray@...>

Hi Everyone...

I made a mistake when I said I was paying $195 for 90 pills. I actually only get
45 1mg pills for that...I was forgetting that 45 pills would last for 90 days
once I split them in half....goofed on the arithmatic. It looks like what I pay
is pretty much in line with everyone else. I get mine through Fred Meyer
pharmacy, which is a department store type chain in the Pacific Northwest and
Alaska.

An update on my horse Domino...I talked with my former vet last night...she knows
this horse really well and is very sharp. She basically contradicted all the
treatments my new, local vet has tried with no success to eliminate Dom's
current, mild laminitis.
I have much more confidance in her and will involve her from now on. I'll not
increase the Permax dose after all, but stick with .5 mg/day as for the past
year. The front shoes will be pulled today (reverse shoes) and I will make
insulation foam slippers. I'm hopeful this will finally help. Good luck
with all your horses, Kay in AK

Susan Laflamme <f4mlatir@...>

Good for you I'm so glad you spoke to your old vet and the foam probably
will help make him comfortable. Darby has a pair of Sabre Sneakers and I
have fit them with foam for when she was very sore.
Equine cushings syndrome is not at all like human or canine cushings so a
lot of the medical advice concerning human & canine treatment doesn't work
for our equines. The pituitary gland adenoma can compress the hypothalamus
which is the control center for regulation of body temp, appetite, and
shedding of the hair and all the hormones.
I know someone mentioned corta-flx I had Darby on this and it sent her into
a lamanitic episode- it contains a lot of sweetner so be careful if your
horse has elevated insulin levels.
Sue

Sue

10:50 AM 4/22/00 -0800, you wrote:
[...]

Your high school sweetheart-where is he now? With 4.4 million alumni
already registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll
find her here. Visit your online high school class reunion at:
http://click.egroups.com/1/3139/3/_/664507/_/956429426/

Shortcut URL to this page:

http://www.onelist.com/community/EquineCushings