locked Cranial Nerve 11?

b1ecks

I am working to restore my horse Hank's personality after he was diagnosed with cushings two months ago.  In doing a saddle fit on him yesterday, he was very reactive where the cranial nerve 11 runs, and also behind the ears.  I noticed that he humped his back a couple of times when I got on him recently, and seems uncomfortable girthing in the last couple of weeks. With a saddle he's been happy in for 2 years. He's also disliking his ears touched. Could this all be Cushings related?  I have been reading that nerves can be impacted..but can't really find a lot of info on that. I have been negligent about uploading his case study, but will get back to that today, in case it provides more information. He's on one tab of prascend.
--
Barb B in CA 2019

Hi Barb,
I can’t say that I have heard of a story just like yours but someone else might comment on their experiences. It’s more often that we’re asked what happened to the cute little children’s pony we bought for our kids.  It used to be so quiet and now it’s unmanageable.  The answer is that the pony is feeling much better now that it’s PPID is being controlled.

One of the symptoms of PPID is loss of topline due to muscle laxity.  Depending on how long ago you started the pergolide, his topline may have improved, thus requiring a different saddle fit.  It’s possible for that reason that something is pinching which wasn’t earlier.

I’ll be interested in reading Hank’s case history.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

erica busch

Hi Bard,  Where is the Cranial 11 located?  Erica

--
Erica Busch PA 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Windy%20Case%20History

Schleese is a well known saddle maker but I don’t know how they are on equine physiology.  Competent, I would hope.  Here’s their discussion of CN11 and saddle fit.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

LJ Friedman

i have a schlese. thinking the saddle is only as good  as the schlese rep who does the fitting.

Jesse( over the rainbow) and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Yes, I would think that the saddle itself might be perfect but that a good, properly trained fitter is important for any saddle to fit the horse, even my Hennig.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Lorna Cane

Check out BALANCE Saddles, for equine physiology knowledge.
www.balanceinternational.com

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Lesley Bludworth

Crainal nerve 11 is a motor nerve, no sensory fibers.
Muscle wasting would be an indication of primary CN 11 issues.
Cn 11 does communicate with the vagus nerve (sensory from organs in chest and abdomen and mouth) and from a nerve that goes to the tongue.
The ears in a human are innervated  by trigeminal (sensory) vagus (sensory to canal) and facial nerves motor and sensory.
Not sure on horse but for sure trigeminal and facial nerves.
n a human,Spinal accessory nerve (cn 11) also communicates with the cervical plexus and Phrenic nerve.
If it were my horse I would and have used a certified balance international saddle fitter for evaluation and recommendations and have a qualifed body worker assess the entire system.
For example,, the latissimus dorsi muscle originates in the lumbar spine but is innervated by nerves that come from the cervical spine and is the primary antagonist muscle to the muscles the cn 11 innervates.
Sincerely,
The nerd PT

--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ   7/2022

Nancy C

Thank you all. If we can get back to CN 11 and PPID, fine. Otherwise, we have moved off topic and this needs to move to Horsekeeping.
--
Nancy C in NH