Cupcake on Invokana/Newbie

Carla Anderson Peters

Hello!
My urine strips are coming tomorrow.  She has already been on it since Friday, and I must admit I haven't seen her less footy, even with boots.  I have addressed her trim and will check on the trim.  Aside of that, what are some other experience with how long you saw effects?  Any tips to catch a urine sample? Any struggle in using a different pharmacy to obtain the medication?  Also, anything else we need to know! :-)  Thank you!!
--
Carla

December 2013, WI

Cupcake and Gunnar's Case Histories

Cupcake's Photos

Gunnar's Photos

Jennifer Murphy

It took nearly 2 weeks before a saw a real improvement in my little guy when he started Invokana.  Hang in there!
--
Jennifer in NH
2020

CH - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Flea

Photo album - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=251041&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Hi, Carla.

You can train Cupcake to urinate when you want a sample. I stuff my pocket with a couple of cookies. I put on a halter that I don’t use except as a cue a command is coming. I like to collect after my horse has a hay meal (like lunch) and a drink in a confined area. When she’s finished, I open up the stall door into a bedded stall. Then I whistle a tune, same tune every time. There’s a little circling and pocket sniffing. We’ve done this for years, so she knows what I want and that I need to position myself off her rump on the side away from the side her tail drapes.  I collect a mid-stream sample in a clean narrow tall jar using extreme care NOT to touch her tail, which puts her off.  180 ml individual serving glass Saki containers are a perfect size, narrow and tall, many with a snap-on plastic lid.   Sake cup  When she’s finished, I stuff her face with cookies and praise.

I take the sample to a clean well-lit counter. Everything is set up in advance, including the color chart and my mobile phone stop watch. When I’m ready, I dip the strip and align it on a clean paper towel right next to the color key. I start my stopwatch and snap cell phone shots at the important elapsed times - 30 seconds, 45 seconds, etc. up to 2 minutes. I don’t read the strips against the color key til I’m done. If I take a bad shot that’s unfocused, I just use a second strip and repeat.

I see improvements in insulin and footiness, usually demonstrated by galloping in turnout, in less than a week. I monitor insulin and triglycerides with blood draws using Cornell lab. I’ve needed to adjust dosage.  It’s important to follow Dr Kellon’s instructions on free feeding hay  and incorporating RSR BP.

To buy Invokana, check out PharmacyChecker.com.  I use PriceProPharmacy.com. Delivery by FedEx is about 10 days after payment and prescription from veterinarian arrives. Invokana arrives in original UK packaging in blister packs.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Carla Anderson Peters

Jennifer,
Thank you for replying, and putting my mind at ease!!  Is your little one back into some form of work?  How long have you been using Invokana?
Thank you!!

--
Carla

December 2013, WI

Cupcake and Gunnar's Case Histories

Cupcake's Photos

Gunnar's Photos

Carla Anderson Peters

Hello Cass,
I sincerely appreciate your response! I will work on that.  How long have you been using Invokana?
Thank you!!
Carla
--
Carla

December 2013, WI

Cupcake and Gunnar's Case Histories

Cupcake's Photos

Gunnar's Photos

Hi, Carla.  My horse has been getting Invokana since February 2021. All the details are in Cayuse's case history. If you search messages for Invokana, you will find posts by members who have been treating their horses with Invokana since 2019.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

Jennifer Murphy

Carla, Flea is a pet so his only work is making me happy.  He's been on Invokana since January and we still had some ups and downs since then.  I've been battling his laminitis and insulin flare ups for about four years now, and being directed to this group is what finally turned things around.