Cushings -Is there any relationship w/horse never laying down/sleep?

Marianne @ Austin

This is a question for a friend with an older mare recently diagnosed with Cushings on peroglide.  I have asked my friend to join this group.
Gracie is not laying down in her stall at night. Ever- which she used to do. Will roll in the pasture and gets up favoring a side that had a hip injury. At night she leans on the stall wall (camera in stall) and looks like she might at times fall over. The vet surmises maybe pressure applied when laying down is the root cause but not sure and has also wondered if something going on related to Cushings. Stall has lots of flakes. This "seems"  to have started around the addition of medication but just not sure when.
Has anyone seen this or something like it before?

Someone else recently mentioned an out of character nose bleed of which has been seen 2x's with this horse. Sorry if grasping for straws here but want to do what I can to help.

Thank You-
Marianne
--
Marianne 2009 Texas

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marianne%20and%20Shadow

Trisha DePietro

hi Marianne. Do you know what the hip injury was? Perhaps she has developed arthritis at the old injury site and its not easy for her to rise once she's down? It may have nothing to do with the Cushings, but some other process going on....
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Marianne @ Austin

Thank You Trisha for your response.  There in lies the problem because the hip injury was never totally vetted. An assumption was made by the vet and yes a hip injury of some sort but not definitive. The fact that she lays down roles over a few times side to side supported thinking that she could lay down at night. She can readily get up but the weight is less on the side w/an issue. I think prolonged pressure either on the hip or elsewhere is the issue.  I am outta my lane here but I will continue to research. Trying to help a friend knowing -I too have made decisions that later "what the heck was I thinking"

--
Marianne 2009 Texas

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marianne%20and%20Shadow

Kirsten Rasmussen

Marianne, you could try making her a stall "couch", basically a pile of really deep shavings pushed up against the wall.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Marianne @ Austin

Now that is an idea! Since she is leaning on the wall already this could work as encouragement.
Thank You-