cyproheptadine

LNGERZ@...

I am just finishing up my first bottle of liquid cyproheptadine and although
the price is cheaper, I am just not certain of the results being as good.
The stuff requires a really good shaking each day before giving and when I
did call the pharmacy to ask if they had anyone else who was questioning its
effectiveness, they assured me that the med is the same, only in liquid form.
So, yeah, the results should be the same, but I keep thinking maybe the
foaming after shaking is messing up my measurements a little bit. Well, it
is possible.

Anyway, the cost for a bottle of 16 oz. was, as of two weeks ago, when I
reordered, $165.00 total and they DO take VISA, in case you are wondering.
Each cc contains 1 00 mg, or the equivalent of 25 tabs (of the 4 mg size) So
you would use, Oh Gosh, Math is not my strong point --- help me out if I am
wrong, but Pandora took 29 tabs and I give her 1.2 cc per day so you would
need about the same amount per dose. Is that right, guys? So you would use
2.4 cc per day. ( I have two mules, one gets 0.8 cc/day and the other 1.2
cc/day) so that would cost you about--- hmmmmmm--- I think about 75 cents a
day. I just know it is cheaper than the pills by a whole lot. Not bragging
up the results though, just doing the math. Others have had more success
with pergolide. I stayed with the same med because it seemed to be working,
but Pandora Mule hooves have not looked as good to the farrier since the
liquid. No special reason to think it is the med, just want to share with
you what he has seen! Oh, the pharmacy is Prescription Specialties Inc.
located in Cheshire, CT. The phone number where your vet has to call in your
Rx, then you call to order is 1-800-861-0933. They ship right away, so it
takes about a week. As a backup, because I always feel better with a Plan B,
I am keeping one bottle of tablets till we get close to the exp. date on the
bottle. Hey, you never know, I could spill the whole darn bottle, couldn't
I, and watch that "Liquid Gold" pour all over the floor. I do hope that
never happens, but I am quite familiar with Murphy's Law!
Hope this helps! Someone else with some other info, please jump in here!
Kay in NY

MEGASTREAK@...

I have just joined this group and would like to get some help in
finding and inexpensive source of cyproheptadine if anyone knows one.

I have been buying it online for 11 cents a pill. I give 30 twice a
day.

I contacted my congress woman when the price started getting higher
and higher and she put me incontact with the food and drug
administrations. They indicated that the problem was caused by the
inability of the generic manufactures getting the ingrediants in the
quality they needed. Has anyone else done any other checking on the
increased cost problem? I really can't afford this much longer!!
Help!!!!!!

Thank yo

Susan Laflamme <f4mlatir@...>

Hi, Your congresswoman is exactly right. My daughter works as a vet tech
and we had cypro back ordered for my horse for so long the drug rep finally
told us what was happening and then the drug was put on permanent back
order which drove the price up.They actually stopped making the pills
because of the quality trouble with one of the ingredients.
Sue

At 08:16 PM 7/7/00 -0000, you wrote:
I have just joined this group and would like to get some help in
finding and inexpensive source of cyproheptadine if anyone knows one.

I have been buying it online for 11 cents a pill. I give 30 twice a
day.

I contacted my congress woman when the price started getting higher
and higher and she put me incontact with the food and drug
administrations. They indicated that the problem was caused by the
inability of the generic manufactures getting the ingrediants in the
quality they needed. Has anyone else done any other checking on the
increased cost problem? I really can't afford this much longer!!
Help!!!!!!

Thank yo

Horse Auctions! No charge at ClipClop.com
Click Here to visit us today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6326/5/_/664507/_/963001434/

Shortcut URL to this page:

http://www.onelist.com/community/EquineCushings

LNGERZ@...

Oh, oh, Ohhhhhh, let me tell you my secret for giving the cyproheptadine -- I
give the mules about 2 Tbs. of bran, put that in a cottage cheese container,
here in the house, then I measure in Pandora's 1.2 cc and Sadie's 0.8 cc of
cyproheptadine, in their separate containers. Next I add enough water to
make it sort of sloppy, and off to the barn I go. There I always have their
breakfast dished up (in case I should be really sick, and once I was, or
break a leg or something, someone else won't have to deal with the vitamins,
ThyroL, biotin, sweet feed and oats mixture that I give them. Even when I go
away, I pack their meals in plastic "lunch bags," dry, so the Mule-Sitter
only has to add the mixture of bran and cyproheptadine to their individual
meals, that are set up and waiting. It is so easy, and measuring stuff in
the house is much more convenient. Just an idea. I used to dissolve the
pills, and mix them with the bran, the same way after first calling Cornell
to be sure that was OK. I once talked to someone who said she had felt like
the "Wicked Witch in SnowWhite" before she switched to Pergolide, because she
was actually hiding 60 cyproheptadine tablets in 2 apples for her horse every
day. What we won't do for our friends, right? You might try this mixing, it
really is so easy. And to offset the bran, now and then, I give them, and
don't laugh, an alfalfa pill. I mean, I say, "Do you girls want an alfalfa
pill?" They come when I shake the bottle, then I tell them to be sure to
chew them, and the darn mules and Daisy Mae Donkey do exactly that. Dumb
animals? I don't think so! Kay

Jackie Rice <jrice@...>

I give 1.2 ml per day of liquid cyproheptadine. The cost is about $0.85 per day. My vet found this less expensive supplier for me. The first bottle I had cost about $1.50 per day. It was less concentrated and I had to give 7 ml per day. It's actually easier to administer the thicker more concentrated liquid - he's never spit any out. You are paying about $6.60 per day. I'd suggest talking to your vet about getting it from one of their suppliers. They get volume discounts.