dauRe: Undetectable ACTH

Joe Snow

FWIW  I'm wondering if there is a problem at Cornell with the testing.   I recently had bloodwork sent to Cornell and got back extremely low ACTH on 2 PPID horses  ACTH: 3 and 4;  Both on 1 tab of Prescend daily.    Previous multiple tests over several years ACTH in 10-20 range.  Vet contacted Cornell and they supposedly re-did the test and got same results.  I'm going to have them retested in Sept.

--
Joe S. in TX 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Joe%20and%20Shiloh

Sherry Morse

Not sure about Cornell but the testing Maria is asking about was probably not done there as she's in Spain.

Maria Duran

Thank you Joe,

As Sherry said, the blood work was sent to a lab in Spain. The lab is quite reliable in my experience so the result is at least concerning.

I think best is to make sure cortisol levels are correct.

Thank you again
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Maria Duran

Am I right to think at least the horse is not PPID?
If ACTH is low because cortisol is high, but ACTH in PPID horses does not respond to high cortisol as it is produced by the medial lobe, then this horse is not PPID is this correct?
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Yes, assuming all samples were handled correctly.

Maria Duran

Thank you Dr. Kellon.

--
María Durán Navarro