Topics

decreased water intake and invokana

LJ Friedman

Jesse has been switching around his water intake. Typically he drinks a ton especially after invokana tablet in the early evening. Today he drank almost nothing overnight. I’m watching to see how today goes. My question is, until I can figure this out ,would it make sense to stop the invokana for a few days if I know he’s not drinking enough water?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Catch some urine to see if his glucose is the same and if his specific gravity is up.

LJ Friedman

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t able to catch a sample today but I caught a sample yesterday though it was at the very very end so not optimal. The specific gravity was between 1015 and 1020. The glucose was at the usual higher end of the scale  .  will try tomorrow too?  thoughts? thanks
He is drinking but less. I would say his drinking has dropped by 50% and he might be drinking 10 gallons where he’s not normally drinking 20 a day

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Sherry Morse

LJ,

How many days has he been back on Pergolide?  Has there been a change in weather? 10 gallons is more of a normal amount for a horse than 20 gallons so that's just something to keep in mind.

LJ Friedman

jesse restarted cp on 10/14,  his normal consumption of water, because of the invokana, has consistently been about 18-20 gallons,  he eats every drop of food  and remains happy.
-- this facility doesn’t use auto waterers. , so easy to measure approximate water intake..thanks

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

The weather has changed in the past few days yes. So maybe that’s it. Last few days have been very cold. Though my concern is when he first arrived at this facility in April I think the weather was equally cooler  as opposed to now and he would drink 18 to 20 gallons.I only know his water consumption starting April 1 to current. As his previous facility use the auto machines.  Let’s just hope this few days of cooler weather have affected his intake. My concern is that during the evening is when he usually drinks at least 8 to 10 gallons of water. Lately he’s been drinking two or 3 gallons during the night.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

That's a normal specific gravity. Watch for it going up.

LJ Friedman

barn manager says overnite water consumption increased to 5 gallons. nite before was aprox 1-2 gallons,
-- long live jesse

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

I took another urine sample today. A much better sampling. The specific gravity was 1.01 to 1.015.  the past two glucose readings were much lower than the usuals, . Today and the  last reading shown a few days ago, we’re both from 250 to 500. Any thoughts on why the glucose ,which was always Maximum  immediately after dipping the strip,  is now reading at these lower levels of 250-500?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

LJ,

How old are your strips?

LJ Friedman

Strips are old. I thought they didn’t expire but I will get new ones immediately.