Desmosphyrine?

Rita Chavez

This website presented to me as a suggestion on FB today. Could one of our experienced EC/IR members comment on this novel product being offered as a treatment? I question everything these days.

Thank you!

https://www.beatlaminitis.com/
--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Total nonsense and a major ripoff at $600 for 24 days - or at any price for that matter. Matrix metalloproteinase is not activated in endocrinopathic/metabolic laminitis. Even if it was, spraying SOD on the feet is a total waste of time. There's no way it would get in. There is also no evidence that oxidative stress activates metalloproteinase.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21333362/

Nancy C

Hi Rita

I will admit that his bandying about oxidative stress, a hydraulic system, and Desmosomal  bonds, has confounded me for the moment. The first thing that jumped out at me that I knew was an issue however, was matrix metalloproteinase

"First, all swelling involves oxidative stress. Secondly, it creates a hydraulic system. The oxidative stress activates the matrix metalloproteinase. This stress causes the breakdown of the Desmosomal bonds in the lamina if left untreated."

matrix metalloproteinase is a product of laminitis in cases other than metabolic (high insulin) laminitis.  MMP occurs in hind gut driven laminitis like feed room break-in, black walnut, systemic inflammation and lamintis via fructan bolus like that done in the early years by Pollitt.  The testimonial on their page is a case of feed room break in.  https://www.beatlaminitis.com/about

80-90 percent of laminitis cases are caused by metabolic issues, not hind-gut disruption.
____
Nancy C in NH

Recordings of the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference released to attendees 09.03.21.
Veterinary Professional CE certification hours submitted to AAVSB Race 09.08.21

Rita Chavez

Hear that? It’s another one of these laminitis fluff ads going into my garbage can! Thanks!!

--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA
June 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Rita Chavez

Thank you, Nancy! I guess if there’s a buck to be made and a clever website/ad campaign then a few fish will be caught.
--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA
June 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Sherry Morse

Rita here are a few signs that it's a lot of hooey - lots of mumbo jumbo language, no actual research to back it up, and extremely high priced 'miracle cure'.