Devil’s claw bitters content

Sunkawakan

some sources suggest that because of DC’s bitters content, it can help to encourage appetite.While I want to use it for its analgesic properties, Tuck’s appetite needs no stimulation. Conundrum. Do not know validity of suggestion.
--
Kim F
WI

Brenda Gasch Mittelstadt

HI Kim,

I saw no change in appetite for mare or gelding in my care with added DC. It has worked incredibly well for their arthritis and the mare has some old injury or something that caused her miserable leg and body spasms at times and with the DC they have not come back at all and spasms are also gone. So it's been pretty great for her. I only give A.M. but she is pretty stiff by morning so I need to get on a schedule twice daily (which is suggested).

I buy from Bulk Supplements via Amazon at this time, though I need to find another animal source of the powder if anyone knows bulk purchase of DC anyplace?

Good luck to you!
--
Brenda
September 2020, Dodgeville WI USA

Starshine Ranch

Hi Kim,
I just ordered some devil's claw from Amazon and I wonder if you could tell me how much you are feeding?  Midnight is stiff with arthritis but not at all lame and  loosens up and is still great on the trail.  She's done better since she was on the Uckele Devil's but she got "done" with the taste and stopped eating her supplements.  So I had planned to give her the ingredients without the filler.  She getting Yucca right now because I had some and I thought I'd add some turmeric until the devil's claw gets here but it sure sounds like you are having great success with the devil's claw by itself.
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Brenda Gasch Mittelstadt

Hi Linda

I’m not Kim but I give my two 2 tsp each AM of the powdered Bulk Supplements Devils Claw. They are each about 1000 lbs.
--
Brenda
September 2020, Dodgeville WI USA
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Brenda%20and%20Stormy/Stormy%20and%20Brenda  .
Stormy Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263428

Starshine Ranch

If anyone else has info on how many mg's to feed I would appreciate your input.
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Starshine Ranch

Hi Brenda,
Just saw your reply after I wrote mine again.  Thank you so much.
Linda
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Linda,

Yucca should be voided for PPID/IR horses as it has a corticosteroid effect and the Yucca saponins can induce IR. Yucca can also be irritating to the stomach.

Turmeric can elevate insulin. High insulin levels are what does the damage to the lamina in horses, so anything that has the potential to raise insulin levels - esp. in a horse whose levels are already higher than optimal - should be avoided.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Starshine Ranch

Oh my!  Thank you for that, Lavinia... I will stick to straight Devil's Claw.
Everyone should know that the first ingredient in Uckele's Devil's Claw is Yucca and it also contains a fair amount of turmeric.
I will throw the remainder out!
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Uckele's Devil's Claw Plus contains other ingredients as well as the devil's claw. They also have plain devil's claw but you need to specifically order that product.