Dex Suppression test

Nora & Gary <NRGDB@...>

My Vet recommended against it as one risk is Laminitis/Founder - he
preferred to just treat with Permax rather than risk it ,as my horse Jazz
had already foundered ( if you haven't been down that road..believe me, you
don't want to go there ).
That was before we started using BET Lab for their "Cushings Panel" - they
can also do an "ACTH level" directly for you if there is any question of the
diagnosis ...no risk to your horse , just a tube of blood drawn.
Nora
----------

I talked with my vet about the perceived
dangers of this test and she said she only ran across 1 case in which the test
itself caused a problem. She still believes it to be the most definitive way to
diagnose Cushings.

Kay Howitt <akkray@...>

Thanks for your views of the dexamethazone test for Cushings, Everyone. I certainly
do understand the need for caution. My horse was diagnosed last year, after two
lengthy bouts of laminitis and a very slow healing surgical wound. We already know
of the Cushings, but are wanting to evaluate whether or not his current pergolide
dosage is enough. He is still having lameness problems and it's possible that he
needs more to shake this off. . My vets still think the test is safe and the amount
of the 'active' ingredient to be low, although I recognize that some risk exists. It
would be unwise to skip the test and increase the dose without cause, or to leave it
the same when more could help a lot. I trust my vets and will go with their
recommendations, but I think each horse owner has to make their own decision.

I do not have many more options with my horse...I think he's been Cushingoid for at
least 3 years and he's a tough case. I'm going to have the test done, plus another
full blood panel so I can get as much info as possible. We're desperate to get this
guy doing well before winter, or I will have to put him down. A lot of you are
dealing with less serious symptoms and have more time and a gentler climate to work
with. I wish everyone and their horse the very best. I am going to do what I can
with the resources I have available in Fairbanks, Alaska. He has had 3 long years of
serious problems, at costs in the tens of thousands every year, and I am about at
the end of my rope. I love my horse dearly, but sometimes you just have to give up
the battle. Wish us luck...we need a lot of it at this point. Kay in AK

LNGERZ@...

Kay in AK

My candle is lit for you to have the wisdom to do what is right for your
horse. We wish you all the best and please keep us posted. Good luck to you
and your baby! Kay, who understands

Kay Howitt <akkray@...>

Thanks to you, Kay, for these words. I am sending prayers for Sue/Darby, and to
all the people struggling to save their horses. Cushing's is a complicated
disease and the outcome, for many horses, is not favorable. It is cheering to
hear of the many success stories, for I know how dedicated an owner must be to
keep ahead of the problems.

I know some of you have had good luck with the program set forth in the Gretchen
Fathauer website. I can see where the approach would work for many horses. Some
horses have problems which do not respond to it, however, and need a different
kind of mechanical support. My horse is getting good medical support in the form
of pergolide, isoxuprine, bute, supplements, vitamins, and even cimetidine for
his stomach from time to time. In spite of everything...frequent radiographs for
the 'inside look' expert farriery, a careful feeding program, the meds, blood
monitoring....he is still sore. I do not have the option of turning him out in a
pasture for a year...our winters are long and severe and I don't have that space
up here in the hills, and he cannot be at grass anyway as that can bring on
further laminitic episodes.

Sometimes you try everything you can and still do not see the horse return to its
former healthy state. I think it's important to remember that this is a difficult
disease, with no cure available....and do your best, but have a certain
acceptance of the nature of the problem. I see many parallels to human
diabetes...in spite of the very best of care, many diabetic people continue to
have deterioration to their body systems, leading to eventual death. My in-laws
just spent 2 weeks visiting us in Alaska. My father-in-law is diabetic, receives
the most excellent care in every way, and yet his heart is irreparably damaged
and he has many ups and downs in his condition. The diabetes will certainly kill
him in time.

I don't say these things to take away anyone's hope...I say them to urge myself
and others to be gentle in our self-criticism and in our evaluation of another's
walk. Cushing's is a tough enemy...fight the best you can against it, but do not
berate yourself when the war is lost. Remember that we do not always have the
power to fix things, no matter how strong our will or how large our bank account.
I wish for healing for all the horses and peace for all the owners. Kay in
AK