Topics

Dietary effect on insulin and glucose: instant or cumulative?

Kirsten Rasmussen

I know dietary changes have an immediate effect on lowering insulin, but is there a cumulative effect seen over time as well?   For example, I've been soaking hay for about 6 weeks now.  If I continue to soak, could his insulin get progressively lower?  And, if I stopped soaking tomorrow (ie, if I went away for a week and didn't have anyone to soak hay for him) would Shaku's insulin go right back to where it was before I started soaking hay, or would it jump up partway then climb more slowly back to where it was?  And if insulin didn't rebound all the way immediately, how long would it take to return to his 'unsoaked hay' baseline?  What about glucose?

-----
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

hmfox77@...

Such good questions! I'll be following this to see what the experts have to say.
Now that I'm on this IR ride I've been wondering if I'll ever be able to leave home again.  Even the thought of being away for 1 night gives me the vapors!
I think finding hay under 10% would calm my nerves somewhat, but I'm having trouble doing that so I worry that if I didn't soak for a day things would fall apart quickly.

--
Heather F
Minnesota

Amy Veatch

This is interesting.  Have you looked at the VA Tech pony proxy study?  I think that might contain the most data available for you to look at.
--
Amy & Princess (12 year old KY Mtn Saddle mare) & Max (6 year old mini gelding) - both PPID/IR
Southeast TN, Joined 2019

Max:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amy%20and%20Max
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=134444&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Princess:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amy%20and%20Pincess

Kirsten Rasmussen

Thanks Amy, I will read it through more carefully!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History