Different formulas of APF made by Auburn Laboratories

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Auburn Laboratories offers 3 different formulas of APF for horses:  1. APF (Advanced Protection Formula) High Potency Adaptogenic Supplement,  2. APF Plus Advanced Protection Formula and
3. APF Pro Advanced Protection Formula

How do I decide which one is best for my horse with EMS/IR and PPID?

--
Karen B.
Wisconsin

Hi, Karen.
They're all good. I generally use plain APF. It's expensive stuff, so I personally buy based on price, especially with a big guy like Apollo who needs an ample dose.

Also see Nancy's post about a deal on Amazon. https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/topic/92773967#281216

It's not a bad idea to read Dr Kellon's posts about combining APF with Jiaogulan. https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/279003 In fact, it's worthwhile to scan her posts about APF so you know what it can and can't do.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/search?p=Created%2C%2Cposterid%3A58231%2C50%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=posterid%3A58231+%2BAPF
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Hi Cass,
Thanks for info.  I've been using APF High Potency Adaptogenic Supplement (I believe was first formulation) but thinking about switching to APF Plus because it is supposed to have some additional GI benefits. I did look at links you provided and wondering if I should give any APF if it can interfere with vasodilating benefits of Jiaogulan.  Apollo's appetite and food preferences have been erratic this past month and I thought APF Plus might help.  Probably should do separate post on that problem!!
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

Hi, Karen. No need for another thread! This one is fine.

APF has the potential to interfere with Jiaogulan. That doesn't mean it will. It means you need to be on the lookout to check that you're still seeing pinker gums if you're giving both J-herb and APF. If gums aren't as pink as they should be, increase the dose of J-herb until they get pink again. In my brief experience with laminitis, appetite normalizes when pain control improves --- which is after the triggers are removed, boots with pads are working together, the trim is headed in the right direction and J-herb is used as a vasodialator. Supplements are frequently the first feed to fall out of favor with horses in pain. That's a signal to confirm the key elements for recovery are in place. If you haven't read the 2017 Proceedings, Acute Care for Endocrinopathic Laminitis, I suggest it as a refresher. The article is free.