Topics

dissolving Prascend in water to administer- is this OK?

hI all, I have had to resort to crushing the Prascend pill and diluting it with water, adding a little equisweet, and administering it into Tsjibbe's mouth. He can smell these pills a mile away, and I have tried treats, hiding it in apple peels, just sticking it into his cheek. He sniffs my hand and hides in the corner of his stall to get away from his meds. Just want to make sure this is an OK way to deliver it, especially since his ACTH and insulin levels went up this August. Thank you.
--
Mary and Halo (Heavenly Halo), Wellon (IR) and Tsjibbe (IR, PPID)

West Fargo, ND, USA

Joined April 2016

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tsjibbe

Halo's Case History

Halo's Photos

--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 03:03 PM, Mary Jordheim Gokey wrote:
I have had to resort to crushing the Prascend pill and diluting it with water, adding a little equisweet, and administering it into Tsjibbe's mouth.
Very sorry for the blank reply.
Mary,
The manufacturer states that you should not crush Prascend.  As you found, it dissolves easily in water.  I put mine in about a teaspoon of water after breaking them in half. It dissolves within a couple of minutes. Otherwise, the way you're administering by syringe with a safe sweetener should be fine: it is one of the ways specifically listed by the manufacturer on it's website under FAQ, What is the best way to administer Prascend. https://www.prascend.com/prascend.html

--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Maxine McArthur

I just use water. I take the plunger out of a 10ml syringe, put the Prascend (broken in halves) into the syringe, replace the plunger, suck water into the syringe (you may need to shake the tablet pieces down away from the hole in the end of the syringe so they don't block it), shake well for a minute or two, then squirt into the corner of the mouth and follow with a treat. The amount of liquid is so small they hardly seem to notice, and are more interested in the following treat.

Canberra, Australia 2010

Sounds okay to me. Except for the ‘crushing’ part. I don’t think that’s advisable for your own health. A Prascend tablet ‘dissolves’ very quickly in water. I break it in half along the score, drop it in water and it begins to break down right away.

--
Martha in Vermont
July 2012

Logo's Case History:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Martha%20and%20Logo/.

Sherry Morse

As others have already said, Prascend dissolves easily in water and is not supposed to be crushed so just put the pill in the syringe, add warm water and it should dissolve fairly quickly.  I never bothered with adding anything to it since I was shooting it down the back of Scarlet's throat, but you can if you want.

Frances C.

You don't need to crush the pill, not recommended. You can just dissolve it instead, perhaps in a little oil instead of water (easier to slip down the syringe and throat) Try and find a nice tasting oil, maybe hemp with its good mega 3.
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California