Domperidone test for PPID

hdavis

Looking for feedback from anyone in Canada who has had this test done on their horses to see if they have PPID when the regular ACTH tests showed neg PPID.

what I am wondering is what the test all involves?  Does it require my vet to be on site for the whole day? I  assuming travelling with my horse to the vet won’t work either.  Just trying to figure out if I can get the test done as my vet had no time to be at my place for a full day to do testing. Ideas or thoughts from others?my vet only comes up to my area to see myself and another every so many months and usually is only at my place long enough to pull bloods snd xrays if needed.

thanks in advance!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Heather,

The test involves a pre sample for ACTH then the domperidone is administered orally and ACTH retested in 2 to 8 hours. A normal response is no more than double the resting ACTH.  If you have a recent ACTH you could probably skip the pre sample, give the drug yourself and your vet come out after 2+ hours to  sample.

hdavis

Hello Dr. Kellon,

I don’t believe I have a recent ACTH as the last one was from 2019 in the fall.  So I doubt that would be recent enough.  My vet is coming up here the first week of June so I guess I could get her to pull an ACTH then and then maybe we do the domperidone test the next time she comes up with me injecting it as u mentioned.  But she may not be up here until the fall again... but guess that would be my options?

Also how long should they be off Prascend for ACTH testing?  I am still weaning her off but wil start 1/2 tab tomorrow for 3 -4 days then she should be off of it.

Thanks for the info!

The test involves a pre sample for ACTH then the domperidone is administered orally and ACTH retested in 2 to 8 hours. A normal response is no more than double the resting ACTH.  If you have a recent ACTH you could probably skip the pre sample, give the drug yourself and your vet come out after 2+ hours to  sample.

Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Sherry Morse

Hi Heather,

Forgive me if this has been asked before because I obviously don't remember the answer, but is there any way you could do the 2nd blood draw and take it (them) to a small animal vet to send to Guelph?  It seems like that might be the easiest way to do this if your vet is willing to do the first test and then administer the Dom.  You would just need to do the 2nd draw then and it could possibly all be done in the same day.

hdavis

Thanks Sherry!

There might be a possibility for my vet to pull the blood in the am when she comes up and then I can administer the domperidone during the day snd then she can come back at the end of the day and pull the second blood draw.  That is the only thing I can think of that might work.

how long though does she have to be off of Prascend before the tests are done?

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Sherry Morse

Oh sorry - totally forgot that part of your question Heather and that's the easy answer!  3 weeks minimum to make sure you'e getting a true value for the initial blood draw.

hdavis

No problem Sherry!  Ok it will be 4 weeks if I stop by Monday. Is that one enough you think? Also one more question is the testing costly for the domperidone?  Just wondering what to expect for cost.

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Sherry Morse

Yes you should be fine as far as timing.  I have NO idea about the test cost, especially not in Canada.  Is there any way you can check in with the vet about that now?

hdavis

hdavis

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 09:35 AM, hdavis wrote:
There might be a possibility for my vet to pull the blood in the am when she comes up and then I can administer the domperidone during the day snd then she can come back at the end of the day and pull the second blood draw.
Sounds like a plan! 3 to 4 weeks off pergolide.

hdavis

hdavis

I was wondering can the domperidone test be done in the fall as in 3 weeks from now to see if my mare is intact early PPID or should I just keep her on her meds she is on for the winter then look at doing this test in spring?  She is in compounded pergolide to be equivalent to 2 mgs of Prascend.  Thoughts please.  TIA