Topics

Dr.Kellon Blood Test Results Please Advise

Marjorie in MI 2020

Hello All,

I got Harley’s blood test results back last night and our suspicions were correct, he is positive for PPID and IR. His blood was drawn during active snow & cold weather so I’m hoping his results are a bit exaggerated but regardless they’re too high to be anything but positive. My vet is prescribing Prascend starting with 1/2 tablet for a week and then increase to one tablet per day.  I have downloaded and read Dr.Kellon’s advice on helpful ancillary supplements to help with the veil effect but I still have a few questions.

Facts

-Blood drawn after eating “unlimited” hay during the four hours prior to each draw but it was actively snowing & in the twenties here

-ACTH Stim Test Results Pre: 75.8pg/mL(normal 9-35pg/mL) Post: 830pg/mL (normal 9-110pg/mL)

-IR Results: Glucose 80mg/dL (normal 71-122mg/dL)

Insulin 79.33uIU/mL (normal 10-40)

Leptin is still pending

G/I Ratio=1 RISQI=0.11  MIRG=11

-Harley has lost 1.5” off his cresty neck just since finding your group & introducing your emergency diet followed by Dr.Kellon’s balanced diet in January

Questions(please forgive me if I’ve missed this info in previous posts but my brain is currently overwhelmed & anxious & I’ve been searching but haven’t found these exact Q&A’s):

-Do you agree with my vets suggested dosing & introduction of the Prascend? He is a picky guy at times so it is my plan to use the syringe/dilution method until he hopefully accepts the bitter taste.. is this the right way to start the program?

-I’ve ordered APF. Do I need to have him on this for a few days before starting the Prascend? What dosage of APF should he be getting for the best results? Is there any added benefit with using the APF Pro vs the original APF?

-Jiaogulan.. his Lung EQ supplement has 1500mg in it but do I need to buy this separately and increase his dose or would he be better served if I add a supplement such as Laminox so that he’s getting the extra amino acids too?

-Phyto-Quench: I’ve ordered this to have on hand if he gets sore but do I need to introduce it during this veil period or only add in if he shows signs of soreness? I realize it has great antioxidant properties so I’m questioning if he needs to be on it as part of his daily regime or saved and added for sore days that could be headed our way?

-Biotin: Har currently only gets 2.5mg of this from his Uckele U Balance Foundation  should I increase this to the recommended 20mg?

-Dr.Kellon, you balanced his diet and stated, “I would stop both the Uckele Grass Balancer and CA Trace, start a half dose of U Balance Foundation https://uckele.com/u-balance-foundation.html plus 1 oz of iodized salt, E and flax.” Can you please verify what dose of salt, vitamin E, & flax you want him on total? I have stopped the other two mineral balancers and he has finally accepted the U balance foundation & is up to a half dose(113.4g). Insert happy dance as this was a feat!

-Alfalfa Hay: I know this is not recommended by the group as some horses are sensitive but Harley has had a small mix of alfalfa in his hay his entire life. He currently shows no sign of laminitis from his current third cutting hay(hooves are cool, no bounding pulses, no obvious signs of soreness) which is a mixed grass & alfalfa and the hay analysis came back at ESC of 5.0% and starch of 0.5% which was used with my diet balancing. Do I need to remove this or try & replace any of his daily 12lb of third cutting with TC Naturals Balanced Timothy Cubes? (He also gets 10lb of first cutting which is ESC 6.3% and starch 1.2% but little to no alfalfa) What other signs of intolerance do I need to be on the lookout for?

I’m sorry that I am full of questions but I just want to do what is best now that I have the knowledge your group has given me. Before the fall of 2019 he had been boarded at a vet’s farm whose approach to the IR diagnosis(if you can call it this without bloodwork or any diagnostics) in 2013 was to remove him from round bale feeding & only allow him a few flakes of first cutting. I trusted what I was told & will forever feel like I failed and have regret. I’m very grateful for all of you, your knowledge, dedication, & help!

Thank you in advance!

--
Marjorie in MI 2020
Harley's Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marjorie%20and%20Harley

Lorna in Ontario

Hi Marjorie,

"I’m sorry that I am full of questions but I just want to do what is best now that I have the knowledge your group has given me. Before the fall of 2019 he had been boarded at a vet’s farm whose approach to the IR diagnosis(if you can call it this without bloodwork or any diagnostics) in 2013 was to remove him from round bale feeding & only allow him a few flakes of first cutting. I trusted what I was told & will forever feel like I failed and have regret. I’m very grateful for all of you, your knowledge, dedication, & help!"

Questions are good things. That's what we're here for ....we can all learn someting from answers to other people's questions. So.....ask away.

Also, we don't allow members to beat themselves up ! (  "...will forever feel like I failed and have regret " ) That's a waste of energy, which is needed to  improve the quality of life for our equine partners.

Re: APF , it is a good idea to begin it several days ahead of beginning pergolide meds ( although I never had veil issues with any of my 7 PPID boys ). I think the regular APF is fine for this purpose.

Onward and onward. 😊

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

First of all, YOU haven't failed in any way.  There is no need to make any changes at this point except starting the pergolide. You should wait for the APF to avoid possible reactions but many horses have no or very minimal reactions especially when starting with a low dose as you are. If you start without APF and he goes off feed you can always stop it until the APF comes then try again.

E is 2 IU/lb and flax 1 to 2 oz/500 lbs.

tracy.l.dore@...

Just take a few minutes and breathe!  No regret - just move forward (hard - I know).  I have been known to apologize to my horse.
My horse was dx PPID back in the fall and my vet had me do a 1/2 a Prascend tablet for a bit and then go to 1 whole tablet.  My boy wasn't fond of the APF Pro that I got for him - but even without it (at least never a 'full dose') he never developed 'the veil'.
Salsa eats his Prascend in a piece of carrot - I just cut a hole in it, put the pill in there, "plug" the hole back with the carrot bits I shelled out and he's good to go.  I know some horses are super sensitive - this just works for Salsa and it's not a lot of carrot.  He injured his mouth as a yearling before I ever got him and he's not fond of syringing things into his mouth to this day.  So for him I have to get him to eat meds as much as possible.  If I had to syringe meds into him daily for the rest of his life I admit - I'd cry a bit - hehe.
Sorry I don't have answers for all your questions - others may chime in.

Good luck - and really - don't beat yourself up.
--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019