Dr Kellon - Riosa Tying Up Episode and Treatment help

hdavis

Rio had a bad tying up episode last night and I suspect this is what has been happening to her all along but in a mild form.

Her muscles were super tight over the hind end, stiff legged in all legs, tight abdominal muscles, increased respiration rates, head shaking, blank wide eyed look and not eating or drinking.  Her temp was normal and I wanted to attempt to warm her muscles up to perhaps help but too hot to put a blanket on her. She was just getting worse and worse so I gave her 10cc of banamine orally hoping it would help her muscles relax. In about half and hour she was much better and walked out to get water from the trough outside her stall (even though she had a pail in her stall) and was eating happily.

This am she is marching around her paddock with very little indication that she has been lame for the past couple of days. No front end lameness and only slight hind end stiffness. Makes me think we are not dealing with laminitis at all or even hind end lameness and something totally different.

I will call my vet this am but I wanted to reach out to ECIR and Dr. Kellon to find out what treatment options I have for her if this happens again? She is on 300mg of Invokana so giving her the banamine (orally) last night wasn’t perhaps the best thing but she was in crisis and that’s what I did. :(

For a horse that has tying up issues can I give muscle relaxant to help them or what does a person do?

Has anyone else been having any issues with tying up in the hot weather?  She gets 3.4 ounces of salt with her mineral blend and then I add in salt accordingly to weather if needed. Not sure it is weather related but I do notice her issues seem to arise when the temp drops quite a bit. This last time over 30C with high humidity and dropped down over night to 16c and rain. Next day stiff horse,  I had gotten smarter and made sure to add blanked or rain sheets during those temp swings so that is helping a bit but hard to blanket when the temps are still warmer and when she is already having some tying up symptoms.

She does not appear to be dehydrated and is drinking well. I was hoping to pull bloods in the next week or 2 for insulin, glucose, triglycerides and vitamin e but was wondering should we run any other tests as well.  Just want all my ducks in a row when I call my vet this am.

A tech will be pulling the blood and not a vet. With this recent episode I am leery about hauling her and her tying up in the trailer if she continues to have these episodes before the appt.

Suggestions and help please. Thanks in advance.
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Heather,

Tying-up is caused by exercise. Was she running around? Was her urine discolored?  It's almost impossible to help you without being able to examine her but at this point I'm highly suspicious of a back problem.

Take a capped ball point pen and run it firmly down the middle of her back and over her rump to the tail. Tell us what she does.

jmc

This rather sounds like a PSSM attack, some horses seem to be affected by cold (like mine), some by heat.

My horse rarely has full on tying up episodes, but will slowly get stiffer if not exercised, and will eventually get painful enough to stop eating, his attacks look like colic.

My horse's treatment is Banamine to ease the immediate pain, and methocarbamol to relax the muscles. I give methocarbamol prophylactically as well, when necessary.

He is also IR and PPID; FWIW treating for ppid also helped his PSSM2 symptoms.
--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

hdavis

Thanks Dr. Kellon.

will check her back when I can and get back to you. Her back has been checked several times and at her last exams and never any indication of soreness.   Bugs were bad last night so she could have been moving around more due to them but I didn’t not see as dark out and I was in the house. However she did urinate in front of me after I gave the Banamine and yes her urine was darker, not sure what colour you are looking for but a darker yellow something like a medium ale beer or slightly darker.

If she indeed does have back pain or shows these Sejm times again can I give Banamine with her being on Invokana. I know you mentioned before if we had an accident or colic which needed Banamine I could do that for short term but wanted to check on this again to be sure it can be used short term.

thanks again!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Sherry Morse

Hi Heather,

Having just gone through a bad tying up episode with my mare back in May what you're describing does not sound like tying up to me; but some other sort of muscle spasm issue.  My mare required 60 liters of fluid to get her back to peeing something in the shade of light brown heading to yellow and took 10 days for her bloodwork to get back to normal.  The first two times she peed after she tied up it looked like black coffee.  Banamine was on board but didn't really help anything other than we were able to get her 30 feet down the aisle into her stall once it kicked in.

hdavis

Thanks for the information Sherry and Jodi. I did check her back as suggested and didn’t get much of a response. Did the same with my other 2 horses and got the same response so to me she doesn’t appear sore in her back.

Hopefully we won’t have another episode but I guess if she does I will use Banamine to help her or ask my vet about using a muscle relaxant.

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If the back test is done correctly there is normally a very obvious response.

hdavis

Judy and Bugsy

Just taking a wild guess... how about stomping from flies?  The flies here are brutal and my horses have fly masks, sheets, and leg wraps. Prior to getting leg wraps horses were stomping like crazy.
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

hdavis

Hey Judy.

Yes she could have stressed her body out by running from flies maybe or some stomping. She is sprayed regularly but who knows. Something is for sure not normal with her that’s for sure. Now to try to find her some relief from the pain/stiffness in the meantime until it is figured out. Good news about Bugsy and how well he is doing! Fabulous!!

Best wishes,

Heather Davis