Topics

Dry California summer grass

Sheila

Just wondering if anyone has ever tested the dry summer grass we have here in California.  I was thinking of sending a sample in to have it tested. My vet thinks it is probably still high in sugar and starch. I'd love to be able to turn my Cushings and IR horses out without masks for a few hours a day.
--
Sheila
October 2017

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sheila%20and%20Daniel

When you test it, be sure to cut it off right at ground level instead of a few inches off the ground. Dormant grasses have their carbohydrate stores located close to the ground, even in the roots. When the upper portions don't taste very good, they will eat lower, even pull out the roots.

lynnc66

Hi Sheila, when you test it could you please let us know the results?  I have the same situation here in the Southern Sierra foothills, with IR mini horses and donkeys.
--

Lynn Cox
Kern County, CA

May, 2007

Hi, Sheila.
Depending on where you live, and where the grasses remain tastiest in the summer like low areas with moisture, iron levels can be very high. If you're like many of use, spending our precious resources (time and money) balancing our equine diets, consider adding analysis of iron when you check ESC and starch.

My coastal hills winter grasses are ridiculously high in iron. That is a reflection of soil chemistry you may not have in your area, but the amount of iron is shocking enough to mention. https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cass%20and%20Satra%20-%20Cayuse%20-%20Diamond/Hay&%20Pasture%20Analysis/2012-02-WinterPastureGrasses.pdf
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Sheila

Yes, I will post the results. I will also test for iron. I know I've purchased some orchard grass hay from about 60 miles away that was high in iron.
--
Sheila
October 2017
Central CA Sierra foothills