Topics

dry skin rx for dry skin with ir horse

Daisy Shepherd

hello, my tiko has dander like dry skin especially  along top line; also prone to allergic reactions  in warmer months.  has anyone had success with treating? thank you, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Alison Parr

--Hi Daisy,

I would be interested in replies to this too as my PPID Shetland has dreadful scurf in her mane throughout the year and from Spring onwards, I have to take preventative measures against sweet itch.
Allie in Hampshire 2019

Daisy,
Tiko's case history says he gets only one oz of "Omega Horseshine" per day in the winter. You could increase this quantity since he tolerated 3 oz per day in the summer. I didn't see Vit E listed in his case history. Vit E does need to be supplemented for horses not on green grass.

Remember to search our "Files" area for info about feeding the IR or Cushings horse. You can also search the messages to find responses to similar questions posted by other members.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing/Nutritional%20Needs%20for%20Insulin%20Resistant.pdf

--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

IR horses are prone to allergy. Excessive scaling can be seen in PPID horses and they also may develop allergies. Otherwise, it's like dandruff - a sign the skin is irritated. With a history of skin allergies/hypersensitivity in both horses, that's not surprising. Tight diet balancing along with biotin and vitamin A often corrects this - in addition to controlling the hormonal issues.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

Daisy Shepherd

thank you bonnie;  he gets 2500 iu daily of ucekels liquid vit e; thought it was in his case hx so will check.  also wonder if using the cocasoya oil would be  better than the granular  but also wonder if the granular is more suitable  for the ir horse; i have increased the granular for winter to 2 scoops, maybe 3 is needed. ( scoop that comes with the granular ). thanks for your input, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Daisy Shepherd

thank you dr kellon,   he gets uckele equi hoof complex 1 scoop daily that has 20mg of biotin plus uckele equi-vm  1 scoop  should i increase to 2 scoops.  also read that you recommend chrondtin  which i do not use.   gets thyro l 2 scoops daily;  just had an acth repeated 1/2020 as you recommended  was 14.4 cornell   was 48.6 11/2019; will do blood work again late spring.  any other ideas greatly appreciated.  thank you, you are so greatly appreciated, daisy and tiko