Dually Top Line

Kim Leitch

I’m very concerned about Dually, my IR Connemara. His top line has deteriorated over the last six months. His lab numbers look great, ACTH 22.4 pg/mL, insulin 13.1 ulU/mL. I leased him to a little girl for Hunter shows about six months ago.  It is an off site lease, but I provide all food. Diet is mineral balanced and has been for several years. I added three pictures to his photo album I took a couple of weeks ago, but he has deteriorated since then. The hay he was eating until two weeks ago was 7.6% protein, 4.5% ESC + Starch.  I put him on Triamino a few months ago, but the new hay is 15.2% protein, 11.2% ESC + starch (lab report is in case history folder).  I’m mixing the two hays right now so I don’t have to soak.

He has always had a large barrel, but now that he is fit, it is not as large, but I still can’t feel ribs. He is happy working and sound (he gets a bad attitude if he is not happy), but the trainer wanted to put him on Previcox, but I said no. Now she wants hock and stifle injections. She says they will improve his top line. She also wants to start him on Decoquinate for EPM (his top line weakness is not asymmetrical and he does not show any signs of EPM). I have said no to all of the above.

He is dewormed with Ivermectin every December, and one month of Strongid C2X in May/June. He gets 17 lbs. of hay and one lb. of TCNTBC to carry minerals, etc. Could I possibly be underfeeding him? He is 14.3, and I estimate that he is 900-950 lbs. currently (I haven’t measured, but I will tomorrow).

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Sherry Morse

Hi Kim,

If he's in heavier work than he was before he may need more groceries.  The other thought would be to do another TRH stim test and see if he comes back positive for PPID on the post stim test (I know he did not in the past).  Others may have more ideas but could you take a picture of all of him when you're next at the barn and share that?

Kim Leitch

There are three pictures of him from last week or 10 days ago. You can compare them to the 2017 pictures. I am going to run the TRH stim  test, but my vet likes to wait until he has a group of horses, because of the cost of the TRH.
I will measure him for a definite weight tomorrow.

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Hi, Kim.
A 19 yo at a boarding/ training stable should be dewormed at least quarterly. The opportunities for transmission of parasites are much higher than at home. Added to the normal reduction in resistance in older horses, extra exposures may be taking a toll.

As an aside, in the future, it would be awesome if you’d leave your old hay analyses in your CH folder. Was the old hay at 7.5% protein a highly digestible hay? Dually, as he has aged, may not have been able to extract all the protein from that hay. So maybe you are playing catch-up. RSR BP is probably too much work for a busy show barn, but it’s  a terrific source of protein and calories.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Kim Leitch

Cass, I have uploaded the Feb. Hay test.

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Sherry Morse

Hi Kim,

The three pictures you posted only show parts of the horse - sometimes it's easier to assess when we can see the entire animal.  CaseHistory@ECIR.groups.io | Photo is a good example of what we need - side view, whole horse in the picture, head straight if possible.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

That is a pretty fibrous hay so he likely was protein deficient. How much of the higher protein hay does he get? Vitamin E?

Kim Leitch

Dr. Kellon, he was on Triamino while on the February hay. He is on 50:50 new hay and February hay now. I've upped his TCTBC by 1/2 lb., too.

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Kim Leitch

I added two more photos of Dually. He measures 935 lbs. I think the fact that his gut hides his ribs has fooled me. Can I give him a dose of Quest while he is on Strongid C2X?
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Tri-Amino can't make up for a deficit in total protein. The 50:50 mix should be adequate so just give it a little time. Yet, you can give him the Quest but no need to continue the daily Strongid if you do.

Kim Leitch

Dr. Kellon, I was giving Dually the Strongid C2X for one month to get tape worms. Since I am giving him the Quest without praziquantel, can I continue the C2X?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0