Topics

Emmie. Updated and uploaded Case History

ellen@...

Nancy Collins has been supporting us with mineral balancing since 2014.  She has been an amazing support and guide.  Emmie's diet is tight, her weight is good, her feet are good at this time.   Recent lab results are very concerning.  Please advise.
--
Ellen
New Hampshire

Sherry Morse

Hi Ellen,

Assuming those tests were done at Cornell she's now PPID in addition to IR and the elevated ACTH could be driving her insulin levels up.  You'll be getting a full welcome letter shortly so please be sure to read that, but have you spoken with your vet about starting her on pergolide/prascend to see if you can get her ACTH under control?

Nancy C

Thanks for your kind words Ellen.

Ellen and Emmie have been here since 2014.

I wondered if lyme coming back could also be contributing to her higher insulin and hope Dr Kellon or Dr Clougher could give us their thoughts on retesting.

Thanks.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Yes, it definitely could be contributing. Lyme flares are very common at  the exact same time as the seasonal rise and I doubt that's a coincidence. There seems to be a temporary weakening of the immune system, likely far more significant in PPID horses.

Oh, heck, Ellen, I am sorry to hear this. That insulin is rather alarming. Her ACTH in the fall has previously always been nicely in the reference range, and now for the first time it is above reference. If Emmie were mine, I would start pergolide at least for the seasonal rise, and run a Lyme panel.
--
Jaini
Merlin and Maggie (over the bridge), Gypsy, Ranger

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .

ellen@...

Thank you for the quick response.  Vet called and will be here Monday to draw blood to test for Lyme.