EMS horse now diagnosed with ERU

Ronelle

My horse, Yoyo, has now been diagnosed with ERU.  It's in the beginning stage so there's hope we can slow the progression of this disease.  The ophthalmologist prescribed Equioxx- 57 mg and Neopoly Dex Opthalmic ointment.  I've seen posts on Equioxx not being good for horses with laminitis.  Yoyo's EMS is controlled and never has had laminitis.  Is this safe for him, and if not, is there any other options?  The vet knows about the EMS and wasn't concerned.  The Equioxx is a long term use in this case.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

Sherry Morse

Hi Ronelle,

There are potential issues with long term NSAID use no matter what the reason they're prescribed.  Is the ERU due to lepto or something else? Has Yoyo been tested for PPID?  My go to person for eye questions is Dr. Nicole Scherrer at New Bolton (UPenn) but I'll shoot a question to my Blind Horses group on FB as well to see if anybody has used the Equioxx and what their experience has been.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The ERU can be a sign of immune disruption in early PPID. I would have him tested. NSAID use is usually restricted to flare ups, not long term, because none of them are safe long term. Many people have had success with Phyto-Quench long term but only your vet can prescribe for him.

Ronelle

Thanks Sherry and Dr Kellon.   I was not told he was in an active flare at the time of the exam.  I will discuss this with the vet at our next appointment on this coming Friday.   I will research Phyto-Quench and discuss that also.  Would Devil's Claw be an option?    Yoyo has not been tested for PPID, he is 19 yr old, and I will talk with his regular vet about that.   Yoyo is an Appaloosa and that breed is prone to developing ERU.  The assumption is that is the cause.   I'm not sure if lepto is an issue here, but I'll ask.   In 2018 his left eye removed due to this disease.  At that time it was thought that the damage was caused by an old injury that became inflamed.  Now I'm not so sure.  Question for Sherry-  What's the name of the blind horse group you are in?  I'm a member of one just called "Blind Horses" and the Admin is Marla Lobrie.  This horse has a lot of medical issues.  He's EMS, has recurring cancer on is penis (currently having topical chemo treatments) and now this.  To think he might be PPID is beyond overwhelming.  And yet I know I am so blessed to have him in my life.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

Ronelle

Dr Kellon-  Did you mean Phyto-Quench or something else?
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

Sherry Morse

Hi Ronelle,

Same group and you can see the answers to my question then, most of which were a no for using Equioxx long term.  If he's ERU and experiencing flares it may or may not be linked to a PPID diagnosis but best to get that checked just in case. FWIW my friend's horse was totally blind in one eye and almost totally blind in the other when he had both removed in 2019 (due to Lepto) and he's much happier without the eye pain and I've seen that in several horses over the years.

Kirsten Rasmussen

Ronnelle, if all those issues could be worsened by the depressed immune system that comes with PPID, and if you find that's a contributing factor, then treating the PPID will help you manage the other problems.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Ronelle,

The Phyto-Quench pellets have Devil's Claw so there is antioxidant and antiinflammatory effect. As Kirsten said, if he is PPID, getting his immune system on a more even keel may help across the board; it certainly helps with inflammatory reactions.

Here are some DC references for your discussion:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26979254/

There are more.