Environmental Heat

Lesley Bludworth

Dr Kellon,
My horse is in the mountains for the summer to be out of the 105 to 115 heat here.
I do not feel I can adequately manage her situation from 90 miles away.
With 250 horses to feed etc, the ranch cannot pre soak cubes for more than 20 min and the amount of water is not adequate.
She will not eat the metformin on the hay, working on trying different ways to make it palatable.
My husband wants me to bring her home now.
Would the heat here and the 2 hr trailer ride be too much for her?
She is not walking, she is standing at least.
--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I agree with bringing her home. At least that gives her a chance. Standing is not necessarily a good thing for those feet.  Use deep bedding in the trailer and she will  need boots and pads. Make sure she has enough room to lie down. By the time you get her on the trailer she will probably go down.

Lesley Bludworth

Okay, she has gone off all her food. Will start omeprazole and pracend.
Can I give devils claw if ulcer is suppected?

I agree with bringing her home. At least that gives her a chance. Standing is not necessarily a good thing for those feet.  Use deep bedding in the trailer and she will  need boots and pads. Make sure she has enough room to lie down. By the time you get her on the trailer she will probably go down.

Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Omeprazole yes, but not if she is on bute or any other NSAID. Prascend is likely to put her more off feed. Holding that for now may be wise. Yes, you can give Devil's Claw if ulcer is suspected - instead of NSAID. It sounds like she would also benefit greatly from an adaptogen. I would suggest Jiaogulan powder - 1 tsp  twice a day if giving as an oral paste (most love the taste) or twice that if giving in food.

Lesley Bludworth

Thank you, she is getting the j herb.
Syringed serving of Mannapro u-gard into her (tums like stuff)
As I read the omeprazole doesn't work as well in an acid in environment and she hasn't eaten 3 meals.
She started eating in about 10 min after I got the u guard in her.
Gave first dose of 1/2 a prascend, and the tube of gastro guard.
Vet said 1/2 a pill for 3 days then 1 pill a day to reduce risk of going off feed.  I can order APF but probably won't get it for a few days.
She is getting the j herb mixed in with other stuff but remains to be seen if she will eat it.
And I syringe it into her when I am here.
I have 4 more tubes of GastroGard. How many days should I give it?
Vet ordering the compounding supplies to do the  TSH test
( not sure if the letters there) but will be a few days before he can do it.
The right frog looks bulging.
Have a foot deep area of shavings for her to lay down in but She has not yet.