Equi-Biome

epersh@...

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with equibiome.org? They have an EMS Gut Dysbiosis Test that presumably allows you to re-balance the microbiome of the hind gut and (at least in some cases) reverse EMS.
Thank you!
--
Ed P in TX 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Edward%20and%20Atticus

It's nonsense. If you want to try it, ask if they will give you a money back guarantee if it doesn't work.

I'm willing to bet no one on this 10,000 member group has had a positive experience.

epersh@...

Thank you Dr. Kellon for a quick reply! Here is the FB post that prompted my question: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1862115997153052/permalink/5584945988203349/. Atticus had these symptoms for years: overweight, cresty, pronounced rings in the front, long flat toes, underrun heels that I couldn't do anything about, winter lameness/abscesses. I repeatedly brought this up to my vet, constantly concerned about a low-grade mostly asymptomatic laminitis, but the answer inevitably was, "he's a heavy breed, you cannot fight the nature." He would test him with hoof testers and say "he doesn't even know I'm there".  Until he foundered and was all but completely immobilized for almost three months. Please don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to blame my problems on anyone - Atticus is my horse and my responsibility. I just can't stop asking myself what I could have/should have done differently, and what I should be doing going forward. It's in the human nature to hope for a silver bullet when your loved ones are in peril, however unlikely it is to discover one. I'm just making sure that I'm not leaving an avenue unexplored. This group has been by far the biggest blessing in our journey through this, so thank you again!
--
Ed P in TX 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Edward%20and%20Atticus

Atticus is a big boy so it's especially important that his feet are in a sound condition to support his weight. Right now, they are not. You need to get trim instructions from Lavinia to guide his hoof care, invest in boots and pads, get his nutrition correctly balanced. After that is done you can start Jiaogulan to accelerate growing out sound hooves.

epersh@...

Edited

I need to update his file. He has new tight and smooth hooves growing with a pronounced break in the angle compared to the old, lower part. The old thick bloody-red wedges are growing out - I trim him every week. His frog apexes  moved back about 3/4 of an inch. He's galloping around the pasture - I have not seen him moving as willingly since he was a colt. He has been wearing easycare stratus boots with thera pads ever since he foundered, but he trots around even if he loses them occasionally. His walls are completely off the ground other than the heel/bar juncture and the whole capsule is much, much shorter. The Pete Ramey's link you sent (distal descent) has been tremendously helpful. His two latest insulin tests are within the reference range (26 on soaked hay in mid-April, and 34 on the pasture with the Best Friend grazing mask on in the beginning of June). He lost a lot of weight and keeps losing, slowly but steadily (still fat but getting much better). His crest is soft and flabby. All this thanks you your guidance and the guidance from this group. You and this group have taken us through a major crisis and I cannot overstate how grateful I am, from the bottom of my heart.

I just tested a new batch of hay, from the field that I normally buy from. I also need to test the pasture, been waiting for the warm season grasses to overtake spring grasses, so that's on my short list to do. Once I get the pasture minerals figured out I'll definitely re-balance the minerals. Right now he's on u-balance foundation with added 8g of magnesium oxide and 4 tbsp of salt a day. He has been on jiaogulan for 2 years, but I only started giving it properly (20 minutes before feeding) after he foundered - before I had just mixed it with the feed. I will certainly post his trim pictures for Lavinia to critique - I think I'm on the right path based on how the hoof remodels itself but I will be very grateful for any guidance she can give me!
--
Ed P in TX 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Edward%20and%20Atticus

Bonnie

Hi Ed, don't blame yourself for not knowing at the time what Atticus needed. The marketers are really "selling HOPE". On this group one learns to question the advertising, and look for the science (or lack of it.)
There is an old saying, "Bulls**t Baffles Brains". But Dr. Kellon shows us how to go past the BS and look for a peer-reviewed study or other authentication for advertisers' claims.
And most of us have been in that place where we found out what we were doing was not what was needed.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Fantastic report, Ed. Very happy for you. You are a good example of how going "all in" on DDT produces good results.

Maria Duran

I know two people that have tried this based on the microbiome report with no results at all. One was for IR, the other one for disbiosis.

Lots of money lost without results

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Bobbie Day

I was just wondering how Atticus was doing, so glad to hear he’s feeling better!

--

Bobbie and Maggie
Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Bobbie%20and%20Maggie